What Is The Typical Fish Keeper?

Im 27, a musician, i ride mountain bikes, i fish, i work on cars, party. etc

but it funny that people allways make fun of my for my fish tank,cooking and gardening ( i keep Orchids indoors and a small vegetable and herb garden in the backyard)

21 year old philosophy student (actually on Leave Of Absence). Into gaming, horse riding and activism. Typical student - geeky environmentalist who likes to drink and is lost without a "cause".

A lot of the people I tell think that fishkeeping is limited to one decorative tank and a goldfish in a bowl. They don't even see it as something you can make a hobby out of and they certainly don't see it as something a late teens/early 20s person would do - for kids and old people only, lol.

I guess a lot of people think fishkeeping is a little sad . . .

Im 18, play basketball 6 days a week 6'7 97kgs pretty big lol!

people at school kind of find me intimidating which i guess is understanding (i probably hang around the wrong crowd), but when I tell them I keep fish and have a little border terrier and love reading books, they just think its hilarious or that im joking.

the most common question I get asked it "oh get some pirhannas or a shark, put a nemo in there, can i feed them some bread... can i put my hand in there" its just so frustrating, people dont seem to understand the chemistry involved in keeping fish, they are so ignorant. Alot of my friends arent even phased by it at all, which is kind of gutting as I spend so much time and effort on it.

but I reckon it is a great hobby.

im a single mum/grandma 38, love music, cars, my tattoos, reading.. my children and home come first.. but then my fish will and do come before myself
yes.gif
.. my mum just called me a nutter as ive spend the past 3 weeks decorating our new home, ( with no issues) then go into the kitchen, lift the washing basket and have to spend the day in hospital in agony as i hurt my back ( lightweight i know :lol: ) but the next day i was messing about with the fish,and she caught me.
im not your avaerage 38yo "lady" infact not a lot ladylike about me at all..dont drink these days ( been there done that) love walking too, we live near the beach now so its fab! ive been called stubborn,argumentitive..i dont back down easily..but im usually laughing and joking and thats the real shelagh :) just starting a new job where i`ll only work nights.. for the fact that the kids wont notice im missing
rolleyes.gif

fish i suppose, or should i say oscars.. have become a bit of an obssesion.... i swear its because the kids dont wag when i walk into the room bearing "dinner" :lol:

shelagh xxx

My names ian and I'm an alcoholic.

Not really, I'm a registered nurse and there's one other nurse on my dept that keeps fish and yes people get really bored when we are on together.

yep lol, they ask my hobbies and when say fish - no way! Of course when I follow that up with knitting and aged 25... :lol:

I work in IT, am 26, and a sport nut.

Everyone at work was a little suprised when I setup a nano tank on my desk. Now they all come over and have a nose at it every day. Since then two other members of staff have informed they are buying tanks for home, and never realised how easy it was to keep fish!

One is a hardcore "salesman" and a bit of a london wideboy/hardman

The other is a posh marketing woman.

Fishkeeping appeals to all walks of life, there is no accurate description of a typical person :)

I am a 28 year old Royal Marine Commando and the lads at work find it very amusing that i like going to garden centers and looking at fish, and are like "fish what rubbish pets! but when they come round they love the tanks and start asking questions, they always go blank faced when i start talking about the nitrogen cycle though :lol:

I have only ever met one other marine who was into fishkeeping, so if there are anymore hiding away on here let me know!

39 year old mum of 2 married, now full time stay home mum. Use to work as a secretary during the day, barwork in the evenings unless I was teaching Karate. Owned various motorbikes last one I sold off last year due to a wrist injury, my lovely GPZ900r, leather clad biker chick (chick!!! ol boiler more like :lol:) wind in my hair bugs in my teeth, but now bike or fish, the fish would win.

People arn't surprised when I say I have fish, but assume it is a goldfish in a bowel. Apparently a tropical tank is weird, even though it is far more logical for me to have fish as I live in an appartment o_O

My collegues always talk about their cat/dog at work but as soon as I chat about up cloan loaches they think it is odd because they are 'just fish' so 'don't have personalities' :no:.

I am 21 and work as a Business Development Manager.

Bugs me when people say fish dont have personalities. My biggest pet hate is people saying plecs are boring because they hide all the time, till I show them my big fella Jethro, then they change thier minds lol

I'm a mid twenties stay at home dad. Used to be a sound engineer, and bass guitar teacher. Now looking at studying architecture.

I don't have any friends that think keeping fish is weird because I font have any friends.
Well except my drummer, and he's a scuba diver and loves fish... So he doesn't think it's weird.

I am a 28 year old Royal Marine Commando and the lads at work find it very amusing that i like going to garden centers and looking at fish, and are like "fish what rubbish pets! but when they come round they love the tanks and start asking questions, they always go blank faced when i start talking about the nitrogen cycle though :lol:

I have only ever met one other marine who was into fishkeeping, so if there are anymore hiding away on here let me know!

sorry .. i couldnt help laugh when i read that.. a royal marine and an avatar of a betta :lol: get yourself an oscar
huh.gif
:lol:

sorry .. i couldnt help laugh when i read that.. a royal marine and an avatar of a betta :lol: get yourself an oscar
huh.gif
:lol:
:lol: fair one! i would change it to my ebjd but cant remember how to change the size of a pic to make it small enough so ive left it!
im moving house in 2 weeks and have an emptt 6.5 footer to set up and oscars are in the top spot at the moment :drool:

I'm 22 and currently second year vet student.

Most people think I'm mental anyway - I also have 3 dogs, 3 rats, 3 axolotls, 2 turtles ...
Currently have 10 tanks but these are temporary tanks at the moment. Will have 10 bigger tanks once I've finished the new setup :D

I find the water chemistry side very interesting (and also scary at times too) but generally am curious about everything to do with fishkeeping.

Most reactions

Back