What Is The Maximum Number Of Guppies That I Can Have In A 60 Litre Ta

missyell

Reaction score
What is the maximum number of guppies that I can have in a 60 Litre tank U.K.

They just keep on popping out babies, my plan is to seperate the males from females. I have one 90 litre and one 60 litre. Also what is the best type of filter I can buy that is not overpriced.

Thank you for reading x

okay

guppies are fairly low output, having 20 in a tank wouldnt over-stress a filter

keeping all males together will result in a lot of deaths, believe me, selling the males would be better, alternatively, sell the fry

okay, a good, non-overprices filter for a 60 litre tank..

if you're thinking external, a TT EX-600 or 700 would do

if you're thinking internal however, i would go for either a 500 l/h HOB filter, or, if you couldnt fit one of those, a fluval 3+ or an eheim PickUp, with a l/h output range of 500-700. both the 3+ and the pick up are good value for money and have large media chambers

hope this helps
Rob

It is always the surface space of a tank that dictates how many fish you can have. A general rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per 4 litres of water. But check your square footage as a long deep tank is not as much use as for instance 1 24x24x24 tank  can have more fish that a 36x12x12 one. I have several live bearers in my 5 tanks but I use one small 48 litre tank purely for babies and have over 80 odd at the moment. My local store gives me 30p a fish so it helps the cost of keeping the other tanks spick and span. Guppies are prolific breeders but from your initial information I would say you could have 20 Females and 6 males quite easily. But place some good plastic plants for the fry to hide in as the females will seek out the fry and eat them fairly quickly if you don't get them out.

Most reactions

Back