What hidden gems have you found

Watersplasher909

Reaction score
Recently I’ve been looking at fish and found some beatiful or interesting fish that aren’t really talked about so I thought why not make a thread where everyone can share their finds and help fish keepers spice up their hobby.

Relatively unknown fish that I absolutely love: Panda garra (becoming more well known, thanks partly to me talking about them on here all the time), sparkling gourami, Betta imbellis, pentazona barbs, emerald eye rasboras, red-tail rasboras. All of these should be WAY more popular than they are. I'm sure I'll think of more.

Last edited:
Ghost Catfish

licensed-image

Relatively unknown fish that I absolutely love: Panda garra (becoming more well know, thanks partly to me talking about them on here all the time), sparkling gourami, Betta imbellis, pentazona barbs, emerald eye rasboras, red-tail rasboras. All of these should be WAY more popular than they are. I'm sure I'll think of more.
I have to agree with Panda Garra! Before my current tank I'd never heard of them but they have become a favorite. 😍

Hey, @WhistlingBadger, I think that I've talked about these beasties more than you so let's settle on saying that we have both promoted. d:D Regardless I think that we both agree that they are one of the most entertaining and human friendly critter ever to live in water. LOL! Yesterday I was removing some loose plant stuff and took my hand out of the tank and one of the beasties was still attached to my hand. Had to coax the thing off my hand as it just didn't want to let go. Have yet to get all four of mine to attach to my hand at the same time but have gotten three at a time to do so

Regardless of well known or not I consider them to be a true gem with all facets shining bright. :) Even though I also love rope fish Pandas are the first I've seen that I can actually reach in the tank and play with no effort needed.

My other gem would be rope fish but they are not new to me as, on and off, I've had for over 35 years. They are another that can be human friendly even to hand feeding but that takes more work than a Panda.

Relatively unknown fish that I absolutely love: Panda garra (becoming more well known, thanks partly to me talking about them on here all the time), sparkling gourami, Betta imbellis, pentazona barbs, emerald eye rasboras, red-tail rasboras. All of these should be WAY more popular than they are. I'm sure I'll think of more.
i've always loved panda garra but they looked kind of aggressive at the pet store lol, now i might actually get some...

I also believe that Bamboo Shrimp are very underrated
Bamboo-Shrimp2-scaled.jpg

I lost mine quite a while ago because I took them out of the tank that was treating for ich, but I am probably going to get more.

My under-rated fish list:
Pelvicachromis kribensis. Not the hobby kribensis, whose Latin name is P pulcher, but the original kribensis that importers confused "kribs' with. It's smaller, less aggressive and stunning.
Aphyosemion striatum (or any Aphyosemion killie) - shy, easily bullied but the colours? Wow.
Chlamydigobius eremius - a weird Australian desert goby that shows up sometimes. Great weirdos.
Corydoras atropersonatus - a spotted white Cory.
Corydoras concolor - I got them out of curiousity because the pictures were only interesting, but in life in a group they are extremely cool. Odd colours.
Loreto tetras - don't see them often but we should.

and maybe the ultimate, if you have a softwater tank...

Dicrossus filamentosus, a little electric lyretailed fish that should be a thousand times more popular than a ram, but that has gone from common locally 30 years ago to being a fish seen every year or two.

Recently I’ve been looking at fish and found some beatiful or interesting fish that aren’t really talked about so I thought why not make a thread where everyone can share their finds and help fish keepers spice up their hobby.
So what fish did you find?

i've always loved panda garra but they looked kind of aggressive at the pet store lol, now i might actually get some...

I also believe that Bamboo Shrimp are very underrated
Bamboo-Shrimp2-scaled.jpg

I lost mine quite a while ago because I took them out of the tank that was treating for ich, but I am probably going to get more.
Panda garra aren't aggressive when kept in groups, but they do like to chase each other around.

I absolutely love bamboo shrimp, but I've never been able to keep one alive for more than a couple months.

Chlamydigobius eremius - a weird Australian desert goby that shows up sometimes. Great weirdos.
Now I want to bring back my hard-water rainbow tank, with a bunch of these as bottom dwellers. Thank you for wrecking my sense of contentment. :lol:

This hobby does that.
I had desert gobies many years ago and saw them on a list a few weeks ago. I was sorely tempted to order some and change a tank. I was saved by the fact our mail system is privatized, and getting a box of fish here costs over $150. That'll keep you with the fish you have!

Panda garra aren't aggressive when kept in groups, but they do like to chase each other around.

I absolutely love bamboo shrimp, but I've never been able to keep one alive for more than a couple months.
nice!
did you specially feed the shrimp? they like to surf around in the current and catch food but sometimes they need to be fed. other than that I did not do anything special...

I have to cheat I have two underrated fish my first underrated fish is freshwater dwarf neon gobies.(stiphodon atropurpureus) There one of my favourite fish in my tank. lovely colours, alage eater, and so much more. The only negative is there are more than a pain to catch.
As for another underrated animal bamboo shrimp are completely underated. I 100% agree with Sgooosh.
My final underrated fish is the weather loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) mine was so personable. It was very good a predicting a thunder storm better then the news. It was such a joy to watch. Definitely underrate.

Last edited:
I have to cheat I have two underrated fish my first underrated fish is freshwater dwarf neon gobies.(stiphodon atropurpureus) There one of my favourite fish in my tank. lovely colours, alage eater, and so much more. The only negative is there are more than a pain to catch.
As for another underrated animal bamboo shrimp are completely underated. I 100% agree with Sgooosh.
My final underrated fish is the weather loach (Misgurnus anguillicaudatus) mine was so personable. It was very good a predicting a thunder storm better then the news. It was such a joy to watch. Definitely underrate.
woah, is your weather loach inside or in a tank outside?

Most reactions

Back