What Goes With Neon Tetras?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My platys are also fine with my neon tetras. They seem to ignore them, pretty much. I have six neons and three platys in a 29 gallon tank with black tetras and a few mollies. Since they have a lot of room, and plenty of java moss, caves, and plastic plants to hide in, there is almost no aggression in my tank.

I have a 46 gal tank and recently picked up 2 platies to add to the mix. Before i brought them home I had 5 harlaquin rasboras, 7 neons, 3 female bettas and 3 cory cats in there. Yesterday came home and found the smallest cory and 3 neons dead. I'm not sure if the platies or the betas killed them, but everything was fine until I added in the platies. Do betas and platies not get along? Or mabey I over crowded the tank? Never kept platies before, but I thought they were peaceful fish.

in my experience the 1" a gallon rule is utter nonsence the best rule of thumb is 1 cm of fish to every litre excluding tails 8 neons in your tank would do nicely
or you could have
6 neons 2 pgymy corydoras
6 neons 2 amono/ghost shrimp
6 neons 2 guppies
6 neons 2 red honey gouramis (my personal favourite)

ps. at the start of tropical fish keeping i had problem with space and started of with a nine gal it seems ridiculous some people think you can only get 2 guppys in
a 9 gal (iam not contradicting those people.

good luck

truckasauras

I've never had peaceful livebearers, guppies being the exception. If they weren't bullying each other they were constantly fighting the glass at all four corners trying to escape. If they weren't doing that they were jumping out to be found days later dried up behind the tank.

They say keep 1 male to like 3 females but most of the time he will just choose his favorite female and harass her to death and leave the others alone. If you want to solve this problem by getting all females there will arise a really nasty "alpha" female who'll chase everyone in the tank just about.

Yea, not peaceful at all.

Most reactions

Back