What fish with cories?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tropicanafishbanana

Reaction score
what fish would yoou put in a cory tank bare inmind there soft watered as a main display ? the mrs let me have cat fish but said she wants a brightly coloured friendly fish to swim about on display too ?

What size is the tank - volume and dimensions?
im in a 120l tank,. its 38x12x14high, im using the aqadvisor to change the fish i previously wanted that didnt match corys,
now ive been given a list of 96 fishies alot to look through but as i find out alot of themn arnt always compatible too due to water gh gk needs etc it can reccomend some that wont mix well so some havy resaerch ongoing ,

down to the C caragory and feeling the strain lol, i want nothing that wil be agressive in my tank but will not be shy and play about mid tank displaying pretty colours (a decent fish not nano tetras etc im not keen on small fry ) i planned on angle fish tho my tank isnt tall enough, if that helps with an idea of fish ''style'' lol

corys can be shy and my loach, and there bottom fish, so hope to have a fish that u can see and talk to haha

atm i am 6 corys, 2 bristle plecos, 1 hillstream loach, and im at 68% capacity so i can fit more, i dont mind if its 1 fish , love the puffer fish til i realised no matter howmuch they smile thell eat the corys eek ,

To be honest, I would seriously think about rehoming the hillstream loach. These fish need cooler water than most fish, but they also need a strong current which a lot of other fish can't cope with.

There several species of tetra which are deeper bodied than neon tetras - more like angels in shape - though neons/cardinals are among the most brightly coloured fish ;).There are a few tetras this shape, for example

There are also gouramis which are sort of angel shaped.
Are harlequin rasboras brightly coloured enough?

Or something like black ruby barbs

I concur with @Essjay here. The loach really needs to be removed. Aside from that, finding what we may term "centrepiece" fish is not very easy, as many of these have either very specific needs, or bring problems with them. One or more species of shoaling fish like those mentioned works better in the long run, and if you select carefully they can be quite distinctive. Bleeding heart tetras for example get large enough to be quite obvious, and they are a lovely purplish/reddish colour. A group of at least 9 or 10, they can get feisty in smaller numbers.

The Black Ruby Barbs is another option, a group of 10-12. I had this species for several years, very nice for a barb.

A comment on Aqadvisor...don't rely on this. There are several factors involved in putting together a successful community aquarium, and no program can possibly consider them all. As a guide, maybe OK in some cases, but it takes knowledge from research to really make this work. Essjay mentioned cooler water and stronger currents, these are critical for the hillstream loaches and obviously not considered by aqadvisor.

You mentioned soft water and we have taken that as our starting point, but do you know the GH of the tap water? Just to be certain. And the dimensions of the tank are presumably in inches.

For the top i would have 20 kubotai rasbora; these are small fishes around an inch at most and can be quite active keeping the top busy. for the middle I would add 15-20 ember tetra or 10 neon tetra (the neon are larger than the ember); both species are quite tranquil and sit around all day looking pretty.
-
I would dump the hillstream (not temp compatible) and both bn - 2 is a heavy load for such a small aquarium. If they grow full size (5+ inches and bulky) you will have serious issues with them. If they are one of the 'pretty' colour morph there is a *chance* they will stay smaller but you won't know till 12 to 14 months later.
-

If it were me, I would get 6 more cories. Rehome the loach and one of the plecos at the very least. You could look into some tetras, rasboras, or friendlier gourami varieties!

I concur with @Essjay here. The loach really needs to be removed. Aside from that, finding what we may term "centrepiece" fish is not very easy, as many of these have either very specific needs, or bring problems with them. One or more species of shoaling fish like those mentioned works better in the long run, and if you select carefully they can be quite distinctive. Bleeding heart tetras for example get large enough to be quite obvious, and they are a lovely purplish/reddish colour. A group of at least 9 or 10, they can get feisty in smaller numbers.

The Black Ruby Barbs is another option, a group of 10-12. I had this species for several years, very nice for a barb.

A comment on Aqadvisor...don't rely on this. There are several factors involved in putting together a successful community aquarium, and no program can possibly consider them all. As a guide, maybe OK in some cases, but it takes knowledge from research to really make this work. Essjay mentioned cooler water and stronger currents, these are critical for the hillstream loaches and obviously not considered by aqadvisor.

You mentioned soft water and we have taken that as our starting point, but do you know the GH of the tap water? Just to be certain. And the dimensions of the tank are presumably in inches.
my tap hardness is 450-500 so i use a 6 stage filter on my water which makes is 005 and then takes it back up to 50 on stage 6, adding ca mg etc
id assume using this for my fish too as the chrloarmines floride and other bits cant be good or gauged for the fish if there not for me, i had a skin condition due to the water here.

or would a diferent filter to ro be best for these ~? i dont mind buying a water filter for aquariums if needed,

the hillstream wont like sitting under the spray bar section of my tank then ? it blasts behind my plant wall and slows down then through front,

my tap hardness is 450-500 so i use a 6 stage filter on my water which makes is 005 and then takes it back up to 50 on stage 6, adding ca mg etc
id assume using this for my fish too as the chrloarmines floride and other bits cant be good or gauged for the fish if there not for me, i had a skin condition due to the water here.

or would a diferent filter to ro be best for these ~? i dont mind buying a water filter for aquariums if needed,

the hillstream wont like sitting under the spray bar section of my tank then ? it blasts behind my plant wall and slows down then through front,

I can't help with the filter situation, hopefully some other members will have advice.

As for the Hillstream loach, this is a fish that should be in its own tank, in a small group is fine, where you can have smooth river rock with a good growth of algae. The filer current should be stronger than you would want for most other fish, and the water needs to be cooler. The followinbg data may be useful.

Beaufortia kweichowensis

Family:
Balitoridae, Subfamily Balitorinae

Common Names: Hillstream Loach, Butterfly Pleco

Origin and Habitat: Xi Jiang river system in China. Inhabits shallow but fast-flowing streams that have substrates of rock, gravel, sand and boulders.

Compatibility/Temperament: Generally peaceful. In its habitat it lives in large groups; males will "defend" their territory (selected on the basis of available food) by "topping" [see further under Description].

Diet A natural algae and aufwuchs feeder, it will accept algae-type sinking foods, artemia (brine shrimp), frozen bloodworms, and natural algae should be encouraged to grow on rocks and pebbles. Blanched spinach and similar greens may be offered. For long-term health, algae must be allowed to grow in the aquarium.

Size Attains around 3 inches.

Minimum Tank Suggestion 24 inches (60 cm) in length for a group, larger if other fish are to be included.

Water parameters

Soft to medium hard (< 12 dGH), slightly acidic to basic (pH 6.5 to 8) water, temperature 20-24C/68-75F. Water circulation must be high to provide the oxygen saturation this species requires.

Discussion

There are several species of hillstream loaches in Asia but this is the most commonly available species in the hobby.

This fish has several common names including Borneo Sucker, Stingray Pleco, Butterfly Pleco and China Sucker. While they may resemble the plecostomus they are not related.

Their unique flattened body with horizontal fins allowing them to hold on to rocks in a strong current is indicative of the proper environment in the aquarium. A tank with sand or gravel as substrate and smooth rocks coated with algae make a suitable environment for them. Plants are recommended to ensure excellent water quality as this fish actually prefers very clean water as evident in their habitat. Provide powerful currents and surface movements to ensure very high oxygen supply and continuing comfort in their home. They will not last long if the oxygen is depleted or if any of their requirements are not met.

Tankmates are difficult to select due to the requirements this species demands with respect to bright lighting (to encourage algae), cooler water and a stronger flow from the filter. This fish is not a good companion for goldfish.

When a second male invades another's territory, one fish tries to cover the other in a test of strength, termed "topping." There is rarely any damage inflicted, and one fish eventually retreats. The dominant males claim the best algae areas as their territory, while females tend to congregate in other areas. This fish must be in groups of at least six, or it can be very withdrawn and inactive.

i managed to swap her hillstream loach for a bristle nose longfin pleco x2 there size and requirements are alot less , there bright and amazing only get to 12cm, clean the tank again,
aq says 152% filter and 52% tank capacity.

just looking for somthing to fill the mid to top like 2 fish id say sized like 4inch? not to keen on all them little fry fish, we have a tank full of them and another plattys, lol i want somthing i can look at like my eyes are bad .. hopefuly red ? like tiger barbs and ruby barbs ? woudl they be a match for the cory bristle tank??

aq says i can, its only problem is it says i need 5 of each, ie added 3 ruby and 3 tiger, would they together make the numbers to 5 as there same sizes just colour ?computer error ? or do they actualy need 5 of the SAME colour?

thankyou for the help, my platty tank just stabilised 0ppm nitrates was showing 8 and changing every day lol, now she balanced out like overnight instantly lol, plants growing too

so
4 gold cory
4 bandit cory
2 bristle pelco
3 ruby barb
3 tiger barb

111% filter
72% species max

other fish i like is the Gourami but i am still researching that fish, tho adding 2 of them only makes 80%capacity in tank after the barbs .. checking agression vs other fish etc tho

Last edited:
The barbs need to be in groups of the same species. One group with a couple of several different species won't work, especially as one of the species is tiger barbs. This is one of the nippiest species of fish in the hobby and they need to be in a group of at least 10 in the hope that they will confine their nipping within their own species. This won't necessarily work though, and they could start nipping the other fish.

If this was my tank, I would rehome the tigers - I'd take them back to the shop and swap them for more ruby barbs.

I think you will be unhappy with two BN in such a small tank; to be honest I would get 0 but you might get away with one. A lot depends on the sex and size; if full size you really dont' want any but if you get a female that stays small (3ish inch) it would work out. The colour morph (super red, lemon, ...) are more likely to stay small but you never know for sure. If you get a male that grows full size you will be very unhappy and if you end up with two full size males....

One difference between terrestrial and aquatic plants is algae issues that can occur in the aquarium if the lighting is not pretty close to perfect, and balanced with available nutrients. This is not an issue for house plants obviously. And plants in the air have access to sunlight (direct or diffused, it is still sunlight) so the spectrum is always what they need. Aquatic plants depend upon us to provide the correct spectrum, and yes, it is as important as the intensity.

The best guide is to use light with a Kelvin rating in the 5000K to 6500K range. This is high in the red, blue and green, similar to sunlight. This does not mean you can have lights coloured red, blue or green--the light must be white light that is high in these colour wavelengths.

Light does affect fish, and generally they would prefer no overhead tank light at all; ambient room light is often close to their natural habitat light. But the white light in the 5000K-6500K range is fine. The main issue with light is the plants' requirements. If the light is not balanced with nutrients, plants cannot photosynthesize fully and algae has the advantage, and here we are talking about real problem algae which can only be controlled in a planted tank by the correct light, in terms of intensity, spectrum and duration.

The barbs need to be in groups of the same species. One group with a couple of several different species won't work, especially as one of the species is tiger barbs. This is one of the nippiest species of fish in the hobby and they need to be in a group of at least 10 in the hope that they will confine their nipping within their own species. This won't necessarily work though, and they could start nipping the other fish.

If this was my tank, I would rehome the tigers - I'd take them back to the shop and swap them for more ruby barbs.

I think you will be unhappy with two BN in such a small tank; to be honest I would get 0 but you might get away with one. A lot depends on the sex and size; if full size you really dont' want any but if you get a female that stays small (3ish inch) it would work out. The colour morph (super red, lemon, ...) are more likely to stay small but you never know for sure. If you get a male that grows full size you will be very unhappy and if you end up with two full size males....
so barbs are nippy didnt know that !!. but u makeit sound like the ruby barsbwont be nippy?
no mension on the gorumai?

i ahvent baught anything yet my tank is growing plantation first, then filling and stabilising before i buy them 1 species at a time,
im planning out what my possibillities are, the only definate ones i am stuck on is the corys and the plecos yeah will be yellow, smaller there sold as a pair that can breed,
next year they wil all be moved into a 450l tank though .
online says they need a 30gallon tank to move in adn thats what ive got currently?

we just want some decent sized friendly fish to mingle with me corys lol friendly and lively up top ya know?

im planning out what my possibillities are, the only definate ones i am stuck on is the corys and the plecos yeah will be yellow, smaller there sold as a pair that can breed,
next year they wil all be moved into a 450l tank though .
online says they need a 30gallon tank to move in adn thats what ive got currently?

we just want some decent sized friendly fish to mingle with me corys lol friendly and lively up top ya know?
Cory don't mix with pleco and in some cases they butt heads (though bn are not too bad); different breeds of cory might mingle and otto might mingle (more likely with pygmy) but mingle here is loose as in they won't displace each other if they end up in the same area.

As for tank size i was speaking more from experience than reference - can you put them in a 30 gallon aquarium yes; will you be happy with them there - i doubt it. I ended up giving away the ones i had in a 29 or moving them to a 120 (I have one 1/2 size super red in a 29 now and she is fine - but the male i had in there before (a lemon blue-eye) was full size and created such a mess i gave him to the lfs. The full size female i had i also gave to the lfs.

This is my 29:
b29_nov_2021.jpg

Most reactions

Back