What Fish Is This ? Help !

tatuny

Reaction score
I got this fishy from my pet store along with a fancy male guppy...And the seller didin't know what species it is when i asked him...And i really wanna know...So i'm asking you guys :D

Attachments

• DSCF2073.JPG
    DSCF2073.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 25
You have a clown loach. A lovely addition to a few setups but it will need some friends of it`s own kind and a decent sized tank :good:

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html

the seller didin't know what species it is when i asked him...:D
should you really be buying fish from him?
surly someone selling fish, should have some basic knowledge.
its not like the fish is some sort of "special" or "rare" breed.

I am very surprised that the pet shop owner didn't know this species, it is very common in the hobby. It's called a Clown Loach. Do a bit of research (Google it) as they can grow up to 12 inches, prefer to be in groups and are rather delicate, not really suitable for the beginner.

Hope this helps

Regards Mark

id go to a different shop from now on. i actually think the shop should be named and shamed!!!

bet this is when you reply "my tank should be big enough as its 110 litres"

is your tank 6ft long ?

if not you brought the wrong fish. from a shop that sounds totally useless, run by a guy who doesnt seem to know even the most basic stuff.

Please research all species *before* you buy them, it is your responsibility to know what the fish is, when it is bagged for you at the shop.

Congratulations on acquiring a species which grows to over 12 inches and needs a 6*2*2 ft tank, and to be kept in groups of 6+.

its 4cm at the moment how long can it be kept in a 50l tank? i am planning on buying a 250l tank in 2 months max

its 4cm at the moment how long can it be kept in a 50l tank? i am planning on buying a 250l tank in 2 months max

250l is still way too small for Clown Loaches, try 600+ litres!

A single 4cm specimen is going to be far from happy, it needs a group of "friends" for confidence and social interaction. A 50l tank is not suitable for a 6+ group of 4cm Clown Loaches, you need to take this fish back to the store...

I would say that even now, it would be affecting the fishs' growth and development, so it can't be kept in a 50 litre aquarium. And what are you doing about the fact that it is a con-specifically social fish? Two months in solitary confinement is bound to screw with anyone.

And even when you get a 250 litre one, it will still not be big enough to last the fish a whole lifetime.. when will you upgrade again? In even 6-8 months, it will most likely be affected by the volume and length of an average 250 litre aquarium.

If you are determined to keep it, and I recommend that you do not, your best bet for making sure it grows properly for the next two months is to do 50% water changes every or every other day.

I'm not sure you realise how big this fish can potentially grow. Get out a ruler and measure out 16 inches (40 cm). If you provide a big enough aquarium and good enough conditions, that is how big *each* of these fish can grow. Then add to it that they should be kept in groups of 6+, but do much better in groups of 10-20+, live for 15-25+ years and think again about how you will look after it in the long term.

Yikes :crazy: poor thing's like a Great Dane puppy in a cat basket right now, it won't fit forever.

Please at least find a reputable LFS to take it back to rather than wherever you just bought it. Exchange it for more suitable fish for your tank, whatever that may be like.

The lesson here is research!

Most reactions

Back