What does your tank smell like?

lnsaneM

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have two freshwater fish tanks, a 75 gallon with canister filtration with sand substrate which has been setup for about 4 years now. While the other one is a 200 gallon bare bottom with sump filtration, which is fairly new about 6 months. While both tanks have plenty of plants (both floating and underwater plants, I'm not sure the name of majority of them). The 200 gallon has more floating plants than the 75, and floating plants seem to thrive better in the 200. The 75 gal has 4 T8 bulbs while the 200 gal has 2 led lights and a T5 light.

Both have a fairly large piece of driftwood for the size of the tank in them. The 75 gallon tank almost has no smell to it, but the 200 gallon has an earthy, dirt smell to it. All things being equal with the water quality within safe parameters, both has temperatures set at 80 F. The only difference is the 200 has PH of 7 while the 75 is around 6.6 (I think this has to do with how long the tank has been established). I do remember the 75 gallon smelling like this when it was fairly new.

Both tanks use about the same type of biological media with about 90% ceramic media. On the 200 gallon in the past 3 months I have also used carbon to remove the tannins from the driftwood. Now I'm not using any chemical filtration in both tanks.

80 is a pretty warm tank, and warm tanks are rank tanks. I use my nose a lot, as I'm one of those sharp sense of smell people. My glasses aren't for my snout. I find the tanks don't have any strong smell at all, but I don't have a single species that I keep that warm.
I regularly have a sniff to detect ammonia or other water quality issues.
You didn't mention the water change routine though. If I were to go 2 weeks without the regular changes, I imagine the smell would start.

80 is a pretty warm tank, and warm tanks are rank tanks. I use my nose a lot, as I'm one of those sharp sense of smell people. My glasses aren't for my snout. I find the tanks don't have any strong smell at all, but I don't have a single species that I keep that warm.
I regularly have a sniff to detect ammonia or other water quality issues.
You didn't mention the water change routine though. If I were to go 2 weeks without the regular changes, I imagine the smell would start.

The fish could do 76 to 82, I just thought plants liked somewhere around 80, but I will turn them down to around 78 or so. I do weekly water changes about 25 to 30 percent.
Also, the 200 gallon does have lids on all the tanks and the sumps and the 75 gallon is an open tank

I wouldn't know. I lost my sense of smell 4 years ago from a head injury. :(
Sorry to hear that, I do also have a sensitive nose

Sometimes it can be tap water that smells. I lived in a town where the water met every quality standard, but I found it smelled a bit swampy. I thought it smelled better after a day or so in a tank than out of the tap!
Big pieces of wood, especially warm ones, can really hum. Bacteria really get to work on them, and sweaty bacteria are nasty. ;-)

Sometimes it can be tap water that smells. I lived in a town where the water met every quality standard, but I found it smelled a bit swampy. I thought it smelled better after a day or so in a tank than out of the tap!
Big pieces of wood, especially warm ones, can really hum. Bacteria really get to work on them, and sweaty bacteria are nasty. ;-)

I think you’re onto something here as the driftwood in the 200 is definitely more fresh than the other tank’s driftwood. I will turn the temperature down, as long as the smell doesn’t harm the fish so far it seems so. I almost enjoy smelling it from time to time, it reminds me of the wild lol

I run my tanks at 78 degrees haven't noticed any smell except when I had a bad cyanobacteria outbreak. Water changes have been reduced to 50-60 % every two weeks. My current two tanks have well aged cedar wood pieces in them, they will develop a slightly earthy smell. I clean off some of the wood on a 6 month basis.

I have two freshwater fish tanks, a 75 gallon with canister filtration with sand substrate which has been setup for about 4 years now. While the other one is a 200 gallon bare bottom with sump filtration, which is fairly new about 6 months. While both tanks have plenty of plants (both floating and underwater plants, I'm not sure the name of majority of them). The 200 gallon has more floating plants than the 75, and floating plants seem to thrive better in the 200. The 75 gal has 4 T8 bulbs while the 200 gal has 2 led lights and a T5 light.

Both have a fairly large piece of driftwood for the size of the tank in them. The 75 gallon tank almost has no smell to it, but the 200 gallon has an earthy, dirt smell to it. All things being equal with the water quality within safe parameters, both has temperatures set at 80 F. The only difference is the 200 has PH of 7 while the 75 is around 6.6 (I think this has to do with how long the tank has been established). I do remember the 75 gallon smelling like this when it was fairly new.

Both tanks use about the same type of biological media with about 90% ceramic media. On the 200 gallon in the past 3 months I have also used carbon to remove the tannins from the driftwood. Now I'm not using any chemical filtration in both tanks.
My mom says mine smells "Horrible"

All eight of my aquariums smell good. If I was a little tiny guy about 3 inches tall I would have no qualms at all about drinking the water or jumping in for a swim. They smell good like any natural water you would encounter in a secluded nature area. I love that smell. I use the smell as an indicator that all is well.

I have some rescue blood parrots (I went to collect the tank (buying) and the owner had these poor fishies bagged up and said they were going down the toilet unless I took them.... grr) They have got amazingly big really quickly off the goldfish flakes they came with and on some decent food. I really needed the tank though but don't regret it: they are charming)

Sorry rambling!

I looked up requirements when I was a rescue and they said 80F minimum or 26.5Cin my mind. This tank smells wrong and sharp and nasty in a way that no other tank I have does

I know they are messy fish but I have goldfish and they don't smell.. and they are messy

Is it just temperature that is making the difference? They do have lids on which my fancy goldfish generally do not

My 53 has a mild whiff to it today

Possibly cos I stripped it down earlier today and its now airing out before rebuild next weekend

Have to admit that it is nowhere near as pongy as I expected it to be :)

The other aquarium has an earthy smell....but that is likely to be due to Fred Betta breaking wind ;)

I turned the heater down to 78 and noticed a significant decrease in the earthy tone to my 200 gallon. I'm guessing you guys are right on the money on this one, I was surprised at even the slightest decrease in temperature helped this much

I too have only detected bad smells at times I have had cyano outbreaks. Each person does things different, and each tank ‘scircumstance/owner’s practices are somewhat unique. To me, 25-30% weekly water changes is not enough, particularly if coincident with over feeding or overstocked tanks. Don’t know what your circumstances are.

Most reactions

Back