What Can I Have In A 4 Foot Tank

crackmonkey

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Currently have 4 Discus in a Juwel 240 which is around 50 - 52 gallons.

Thinking about getting rid of them for something different.

Whats the weirdest looking fu**ed up freshwater thing that can go in a 52 Gal?

Would you like 1 fish or say a community of oddballs?

A thread in the predator section recently came up about hi-fin wolffish/rainbow wolffish (Erythrinus erythrinus). Would be a good candidate for my money, tankmates are iffy, I've heard of it being done but I wouldn't personally do it. Your descision may also boil down to do you want one fish that reaches around 8" in a tank of that size? They are more active than the common wolffish (sleeping logs) and do look nicer in my opinion. Erys got a mean set of jaws on them aswell, they look the business.

S31705.jpg

Another possibility are snakeheads, they come in different sizes, so you could in theory either have one or say a breeding pair. For your tank I would say a snakehead of up to 12" or so should be OK.
So possibilities include:
Bleheri
Gachua
Stewarti
Punctata
Lucia
(I think these are the most common ones sold that might be ok for your tank - if you're interested in these I would read up on each specific requirements).
<a href="http://snakeheads.co.uk/" target="_blank">http://snakeheads.co.uk/</a>
Worth a browse if they interest you.

Another candidate for an unusual tank would be puffer fish, these are normally kept solitary (though some types can be kept in groups). Though some suffer from laziness and you may want a more active tank, puffers like the arrowhead and congo are nice they are in the 'lurker' category meaning they spend most of their time hiding and become active at feeding. Though if these unusual fish interest you it might be worth reading more on them.
The Puffer forum is a good site to read up on all the types of puffers and what they need.
Is a good site, go to the PufferPedia (Under the learn tab) to see all varieties.

Pirhana might be a good road to go down if you want something to capture people's imagination (though be warned they are not the maneating, no fear machines that people believe them to be, often they are skittish). I think a good choice for your tank would be a Serrasalmus elongatus, they're mean and definately a solo occupant. There are other types of pirhana availabe, probably the most common being red bellied, people recommend keeping them in groups so I think your tank may be on the small side personally.

Though if you want a community of oddballs then the list is quite long, fish that should mix ok with others if you choose tankmates wisely will be things like:
certain polypterus (senegal is the most common)
reedfish
ctenopoma acutirostre
African butterfly fish
Smaller eels eg. peackcok
Dwarf girraffe catfish

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot this one, exodons. They are like mini piranha (what people imagine piranha to be like). They shoal together well and are very active. They need to be kept in large groups though, over 12 I would say as otherwise they pick on the weakest until only a few are left and even then you can be left with 1.

I think it can be narrowed down to get the fish you want by the question asked at start of my post, would you want one fish or a group of fish?

You must be mad. Atank full of discus will be so more interesting and active and colourful

I'd love another tank of discus

Go brackish and get some G Tiles morays

On the ery idea, I would actually go for a few of them as your tank should be big enough. What is the footprint of the tank? This will dictate how big of a fish you can have. FW fish that that I can think of off the top of my head that will fit your tank are polypterus, suvattii and palembangensis puffers, some knife fish, toadfish, chaca chaca, irritans, sanchezi, and gold spilo piranhas, snakeheads, and gulper catfish. I'm sure I am forgetting some though.

Ryan

Porbably best having just one oddball, easier to maintain. I used to have Brackish Ceylon Puffers in a Juwel 180 but gave them away because I couldnt be bothered looking after two tanks anymore, they were quite annoying, all the did in the day while the light were off was lay on the bottom and when the light were on all they'd do was swin up and down the glass non stop looking at their refelctions. Do all puffer act this way? Because I was thinking about getting a freshwater puffer, maybe a Red Eye Puffer.

heres my tank

http://www.swelluk.com/aquarium/aquariums-...rium-27160.html

Puffers will swim up and down the glass when they are bored. Add more decor and maybe some current and they usually stop.

For one odball, I would go with a predatory catfish of some sort (don't really know much in the way of these so I can't recommend a species), a spilo, brandtii, or compressus piranha, snakeheads, or wolf fish.

Ryan

My congo puffer is, i believe, fully grown at about 4 inches. Would look a little lost in 4 foot tank.

Yeah, they usually grow to about 4-6". If you don't mind a small fish that just sits there and does nothing in such a large tank, then go for it. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic fish, but it seems rather strange having only one small fish in such a large tank.

Ryan

Yeah, they usually grow to about 4-6". If you don't mind a small fish that just sits there and does nothing in such a large tank, then go for it. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic fish, but it seems rather strange having only one small fish in such a large tank.

Ryan

:lol: i agree although i have to admit i have been very tempted at times to move my male betta in my 55 gallon once its set up. i can just see him now, swimming around, enjoying all that space to himself :blush:

Ryan

:lol: i agree although i have to admit i have been very tempted at times to move my male betta in my 55 gallon once its set up. i can just see him now, swimming around, enjoying all that space to himself :blush:

It's nice seeing fish having tons of room, but if they don't use it (like a congo puffer), then it kinda seems wasted! At least you won't have to do so many water changes though!

Ryan

It's nice seeing fish having tons of room, but if they don't use it (like a congo puffer), then it kinda seems wasted! At least you won't have to do so many water changes though!

Ryan

oh ya, i totally agree. the excessive amount of empty space is pretty much the only reason why im not planning on doing that. but you know how some, if not all, bettas have that personality... poking around their tank, little bursts of speed when they see something interesting, the chasing up and down the side of the glass when a bug is flying around near the aquarium. theyr just cute, all fighting behaviors aside. and all that room would just magnify it :lol: also i think the blatant excesive room would be a factor in that cause it would look kinda awkward :rolleyes: and the fewer water changes.... ya. :good: i would love it if they made a filter system, thats affordable, where you never had to do water changes. maybe in another decade. :S

Ryan

oh ya, i totally agree. the excessive amount of empty space is pretty much the only reason why im not planning on doing that. but you know how some, if not all, bettas have that personality... poking around their tank, little bursts of speed when they see something interesting, the chasing up and down the side of the glass when a bug is flying around near the aquarium. theyr just cute, all fighting behaviors aside. and all that room would just magnify it :lol: also i think the blatant excesive room would be a factor in that cause it would look kinda awkward :rolleyes: and the fewer water changes.... ya. :good: i would love it if they made a filter system, thats affordable, where you never had to do water changes. maybe in another decade. :S

They have nitrate reducing media and additives although it is not really common in fw tanks. Doesn't completely eliminate water changes though.

They have nitrate reducing media and additives although it is not really common in fw tanks. Doesn't completely eliminate water changes though.

im assuming you're talking about protien skimmers. iv considered those. i really should learn more about them, especially since i might want to do a brackish tank. but i really should start a thread of my own about that instead of taking over this one.

Most reactions

Back