What are you doing today?

Went for a four mile run this morning after my yoga stretches and now Iā€™m sitting here playing online troll with you guys and my comic book forum . The comics geeks are way more fun but not as educational as you guys .
Iā€™m glad you can still run 4 miles. Flash commends you. I use to be a half marathoner but my knees gave out. Now I walk about 4 miles per day if lucky. I miss breaking a real sweat.

Iā€™m glad you can still run 4 miles. Flash commends you. I use to be a half marathoner but my knees gave out. Now I walk about 4 miles per day if lucky. I miss breaking a real sweat.
Thanks Man . Until last week , April 7th to be exact , it was four miles walking . The week prior to that I started intermittent running and walking . Now itā€™s running all the way every day . My pace is slow because various bodily issues are working themselves out but I have lost a considerable and noticeable amount of fat and weight . I havenā€™t been this lean since graduating from high school fifty years ago . My aerobic capacity is improving rapidly and my goal of 8 minute per mile pace by the Fourth of July seems possible right now . I used to run a lot in the eighties and even qualified for and ran Boston in ā€˜85 when the qualifying standard was sub 2:50 for my age group . Now the big question in my mind is this - can a 68 year old man run 6:30ā€™s ? Stay tuned .

Thanks Man . Until last week , April 7th to be exact , it was four miles walking . The week prior to that I started intermittent running and walking . Now itā€™s running all the way every day . My pace is slow because various bodily issues are working themselves out but I have lost a considerable and noticeable amount of fat and weight

Wow! I'm seriously impressed! When did you begin doing the four miles walking, before intermittent running?

Have seen people in their 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s do amazing things! So while obviously, take care and don't push yourself too hard, but you know your own body and limits and have all that prior running and training experience, so I'm sure you know what's normal, training pain, and what's "I need to stop, or see a doctor" kinda pain!

Wow! I'm seriously impressed! When did you begin doing the four miles walking, before intermittent running?

Have seen people in their 60s, 70s, 80s and even 90s do amazing things! So while obviously, take care and don't push yourself too hard, but you know your own body and limits and have all that prior running and training experience, so I'm sure you know what's normal, training pain, and what's "I need to stop, or see a doctor" kinda pain!
I started the walking and a complete lifestyle and dietary change October 2 , 2023 . I walked two miles to start but got up to four in six weeks . I walk six days a week , now run , and have not missed one day since last October 2nd . Rain , snow , cold , wind - I was just like a mailman . Cut out all added table salt , all sugar and sugared products , all dairy and now no meat . I drink a gallon of water every day and no stimulant beverages like tea , pop or coffee . It might sound spartan and ascetic but I am thriving on it . I have no cravings and I think that being retired with no job stress makes it possible . Iā€™ve always been fascinated by what the human organism can accomplish and experimenting with myself is fun .

We have this trumpet vine in the backyard and covering partially the balcony. I've tried to remove all those roots that have crawled further into the backyard. I had to lift some sidewalk tiles that we have in the backyard. It kept me busy today for I was amazed how deep those roots went into thes soil. I had to dig deep to get rid of them. I thought that those roots were close to the surface.
The vine itself is such a beautiful vine. Especially, when it starts blooming. But it does grow really fast. And it also went to the neighbours by its roots. So, I had to cut the thicker roots even with an axe.

We have this trumpet vine in the backyard and covering partially the balcony. I've tried to remove all those roots that have crawled further into the backyard. I had to lift some sidewalk tiles that we have in the backyard. It kept me busy today for I was amazed how deep those roots went into thes soil. I had to dig deep to get rid of them. I thought that those roots were close to the surface.
The vine itself is such a beautiful vine. Especially, when it starts blooming. But it does grow really fast. And it also went to the neighbours by its roots. So, I had to cut the thicker roots even with an axe.
Wow ! I didnā€™t know they were that robust . Youā€™re right - they are very beautiful .

Wow ! I didnā€™t know they were that robust . Youā€™re right - they are very beautiful .
Well, this vine has been with us for many years. But the past two years, I've noticed that new sprouts of this vine showed up at other spots in the backyard. Which I've tried to get rid of. And because the weather was optimal today to do some gardening, I decided to get rid of those roots today as much as possible. Just didn't realize how deep they have gone.

Quite a few years ago, I had to get rid of a beautiful trumpet vine that was damaging the house and threatening the roof. They are very tough, and it's made worse by how great they look.

The running thing though - I admire that. I've never been able to run for distance with my asthma and bronchial issues. I wish I could though.

Today felt like summer, if summer were cold. I worked most of the day outside, and seem to have accomplished almost nothing I can see. I'm at the point where I'm doing what I thought needed to be done when I looked out the window in the winter, and it's coming together. The shed made into a greenhouse is fantastic for starting things. It'll be a month before we're safe from frost, but I will be able to grow a lot of things with the shorter growing season. It's about 2 weeks less than I had to work with in Montreal.

First bass of the year!
1000002856.jpg

This morning I cleaned my shop, changed the blade on the Radial and Table saws. I also tuned the compound mitre saw for the first time in two years.

Swept the floor and brushed the benches. The sawdust will be used with parafin to make fire starters for us as well as several friends. I give them away at the annual Memorial Day fish fry we host.

After lunch will do water changes on two 20g tanks.

Have another funeral to attend on the 26th. Extended family, the matriarch passed at 90, and she and two of her sons still made the effort to come to both dad's and mum's funerals, so have told bro it's really socially expected that we attend her funeral to pay our final respects, and I do want to go.

Have fond childhood memories of visiting their family every Christmas and some other special occasions when I was a kid, and was so grateful they attended dad and mum's funerals, especially at her advanced age. She looked so well and still mentally sharp at 90, and I was so touched they made the effort to come, even though we hadn't seen them since I was a kid despite living in the same city.

Met a neighbour friend to walk our dogs together when she got back from work this afternoon/early evening, which was really nice, for both myself and Pixie, then she invited Pix and I back to her house for a drink. She's lovely, a really good friend and good person, and the dogs did well hanging out together. Her cockapoo just turned a year old, and this friend's wife dog-sat Pixie during dad's funeral, so Pix has been there before, and they've known us for years since we live on the same road and saw each other on walks with our dogs at the local park. She was also really fond of dad - burst into tears when I let her know he had passed. So thinking back, we've sorta known each other, in that "dog walkers chatting and fussing each other's dogs and talking dogs and life while walking around together" kind of way.

We're going to make an effort to meet up more often, and she's assured me not to be shy about asking for help. I'm not good at that! I also don't want to take advantage of their good nature and generosity. I worry that people are just nice to me out of pity, not because they genuinely like me and want to, you know? But that's a depression thought, not reality, and sharing that with her, she assured me it's not true, they do genuinely like me, understand what I'm going through, and want to help where they can. Said that she'll be honest and say if she's too busy to do something, and will help by giving me and Pixie a lift to and from the PDSA pet hospital so I can get low cost treatment for her. @Naughts @GaryE @Oldspartan @Flowerfairy13 @Seisage and anyone else who followed my "gah, fleas!" thread.

Most reactions

Back