What are you doing today?

We've just been for our 6 month check up at the dentist. I know prices are increasing, but £35 at the end of September 2022 to £65 today for an examination o_O That an 85% increase in 6 months. It almost makes me want to find an NHS dentist except we like our current one.

We've just been for our 6 month check up at the dentist. I know prices are increasing, but £35 at the end of September 2022 to £65 today for an examination o_O That an 85% increase in 6 months. It almost makes me want to find an NHS dentist except we like our current one.
I had a recent dental cleaning. $100. My insurance paid $15. Crazy.

My husband has chipped a tooth which needs repairing. He has dental insurance which will pay the full cost of the examination, dental cleaning and the repair. Since my teeth hardly ever need anything except cleaning, I'm on pay as you go which costs a lot less per year than insurance.

I finally got all caught up in new forum posts on here. Was away at a convention (PAX East for anyone interested) and didn't really have time or energy to check forum or anything for that matter.
Of course now I also have my parents visiting for the week as well.

May sound sort of weird but watching reruns of the show Friends which I like but kind of thinking how my tastes have changed as to TV.

For instance there shows that some younger members may not even know about such as Diagnosis Murder with Dick Van Dyke, Mattock with Andy Griffith and Perry Mason with Raymond Burr for which I had zero interest when they were 'live TV' yet now watch any time I see them listed. Then there were others that I liked when live TV such as Mannix, Threes Company and Married With Children that now seem just dumb.

Makes me wonder if I'm growing up or just getting old. ;)
peop130.gif

BTW, wee hours of the morning I watched Avatar The Way Of Water and it was much better than I expected. :) When Disney bought the franchise I was afraid that they were going to rune it when they insisted on a re-write. There are parts that are obviously Disney but they kept the world of Avatar intact. If I could only watch either the original or the sequel I think I'd pick the original but the sequel is much better than most sequels. I very much enjoyed.

Brian Eno, the musician, said that someone young trying to discover new sounds online could stumble into something from the 1920s as easily as the 80s, 10s or last week. It's an interesting idea. When I was wandering around in the punk years, I was closer to the big band era than kids now are to Queen or the Beatles.
I thought the Beatles were ancient in 1979. In a way, they were. But now, poor young souls can find that stuff (I am not a Beatles fan) at random online, and if they have no taste, it sounds new and fresh.
TV and media don't seem to work that way. The visual things - technology, fashion, hair, social concerns - they are really evident. I've never been a TV watcher, and when I'm stuck watching shows I'm supposed to know about, they look like time period theatre to me. Some of the stuff people thought was funny isn't anymore - some is.
I'm really glad things are not what they were then. Part of it is I can now see what some of those trends resulted in, and how many people are really upset by change. I don't buy the "Man do you remember the good old days when we all had tuberculosis and feared polio? Good times, good times." But I agree (I think) with @jaylach that's fun to look at old stuff. I listen more than watch, but music that came out a month ago and music from 80 years ago have a lot to enjoy. If you're into film and TV, it must be similar.
Even our fish have changed....

We have about a foot of new snow on the ground, it isn't supposed to let up until this evening, and school is cancelled today. No rejoicing around here, though--we will have to make it up somehow, which will take away a day of GOOD weather. :mad:

Most reactions

Back