What Are Good Tank Mates

fordie1990

Reaction score
Hey guys&girls just set up my first tropical tank as have down graded from marine as not having as much time to clean and prean the tank so set the tank up about 5 weeks ago now just added the fish late last week i have never kept tropical before so all help will be welcomed.
I want my tank to look like a show tank dence plants loads of colour like u see in the likes of sealife center so specs are

BRAND:Fluvel
MODEL:Roma 125
WATER VOLUME:125ltrs
FILTER:Fluvel U3 internal
TEMP: 26-28C

Inhabitats are:
7X cardinal teras
2X bristle nose pleco 1xM 1xF
3X female fighters
1X platie

DECOR:
MIX OF LIVE PLANTS 2TYPES
4x PEBLES 4"X2"
1X DRIFTWOOD smalish approx 6.5-7" long
approx 12-15kg or dorset gravel(natural)

what could go in as want some thing a little bigger than what i have maybe 4"-5" and 1-2 fish about 6"-7" max as a center peice
i dont want guarmis/rams as i know people that say they die at click of a finger but i realy like anglefish and have been told by lfs if i add small angles they wont eat my cardinals when there bigger as cardinal where xl when i got then.
i want fish for all regions of the tank as evey thing i have at the moment is at the bottom all the time so fish for middle and top regions moreso and a good cleaning crew please for bottom like shrimps etc.
thanks all

If you start getting fish as big as 7 inches long, chances are they will be the typical predatory fish that are so common. That means that your cardinals won't last very long in the tank. A 35 gallon tank will not hold any 7 inch long fish in any comfort but might hold one or two 5 inch long fish as a centerpiece. Some nice, and fairly peaceful fish that get quite large like that include many of the gouramis or angels.

You might want to research Bolivian Rams - they are very hardy compared to some of the other Ram types. I have four of them. They are not very large, though, at about 3 inches.

i like angels how many could i have in my tank and any info on oscars as i was told they would be good first time i posted this have been in lfs and seen little servrems i thenk ther were they were bout size of a 10p coin and discus look realy good would they fit in my tank and how big do tey grow
thanks guys

i want it to look and work as well as my marine did so what can i have that will deffo work . also can anyone tell me how big do Pangasius/iridesant shark get because my nan got 2 about 5months ago when they where tiny and got told they will max out at 7" but there already 7.5-8" easy as she only has a 200L tank also are the edable as have seen them for sale in fish mongers

i want it to look and work as well as my marine did so what can i have that will deffo work . also can anyone tell me how big do Pangasius/iridesant shark get because my nan got 2 about 5months ago when they where tiny and got told they will max out at 7" but there already 7.5-8" easy as she only has a 200L tank also are the edable as have seen them for sale in fish mongers

i would definitely look at a pair of bolivian rams or some other dwarf cichlid. i have striped dwarfs in my tank and they are very interesting! possibly some smaller gourami species like honeys or dwarfs.. possibly a pearl? (but with the female fighters im not completely sure, lets wait till a gourami expert decides to chime in!)

why dont you try something like..
7X cardinal teras
2X bristle nose pleco 1xM 1xF
3X female fighters
5-6X platies
2x bolivian rams (1m, 1f)

would this work
20x cardinals
2x bristle nose plecs
2x fighters female
10x guppie
2x keyholes
2x angelfish (as center piece) or discus

would this work
20x cardinals
2x bristle nose plecs
2x fighters female
10x guppie
2x keyholes
2x angelfish (as center piece) or discus

forget the discus, they are wayyy to finicky for new tanks!
and for this tank i think that would be a little over stocked anyway.

It looks to me that you will be over stocking the tank.
Discus are a very difficult fish to care for and can become stressed very easily.

Most reactions

Back