Well Its About Time.

shibby

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Right its about time i did another marine tank i pondered for ages over the rio 300 but i really couldnt afford to do it, so i had a rio 125 lying around and that my freinds will be my new marine tank!

so i picked up a few items a day or so ago, still alot more to accumilate its times like this i regret giving most of my marine stuff away :lol:

a few pictures to wet your appetite. not really much but still:

the beast

IMG_0026.jpg

salt mixing unit very high tec - double my tank volume! powerhead and heater concealed within

IMG_0027.jpg

eggcrate and lights

IMG_0028.jpg

few bits and pieces

IMG_0024.jpg

what i have so far..... and prices for those interested

rio 125 £45
egg crate £0
water butt £0
lights, heater, starter unit, refractometer, food - part exchanged for tropical fish
rena xp2 £0

still to buy

stand £35
deltec MCE300 £110
Hydor koralia 1 £20
Hydor koralia 2 £30
phosban reactor 150 £60
20kg live rock £140
sand £20

plans

going to use eggcrate as a reef staging so i can stack rock high and conceal pumps and heaters, the plan for live stock is as follows:

fish: 2 true percs, royal gramma and maybe a scarlett hawk

corals: various softies and lps

cuc: shrimp, different types of crabs and snails

next payday il purchase majority of the stuff to set it all up. stay tuned, comments welcomed of course.

well this topic seems as popular as the plague :lol:

stands bought and made, backwards a few times but its right now .... lights need to be fitted.

tanks on stand powerheads are going to be ordered. all coming together nicely :)

Yes, I'm keeping an eye as well shibby. I would love to do a larger tank. No space and no money at the moment...oh and we may move later in the year...oh and I have very little spare time. Apart from that it's a dead cert :lol:

Watching with interest. Will be good to see how this comes together, now having an appreciation for what you reefers go through to select your gear and get things how you want them :nod: (well from an equipment point of view, not yet got a feel for marine scaping...Waiting for my own rock to start...)

Looking forward to seeing this running :nod:

All the best
Rabbut

sorry havent got round to it been hetic at work lately! but i did get promoted so possible more income meaning quicker build times :)

though i do no have 4 marine tanks running at work, the 1000 litre reef tank taht youve prob seen pictures of, a little nano, with just corals in and 2 soon to be fish onluy set ups thats right no live rock, going to use them to grow on a few smaller carniovores/fish which i can then sell on :)

i love working/running a fish department, stressful but worth it :D

il try and get a few more work pics of my tanks at work if you like to keep you interested.

Hey thats the same tank I've got :hyper:

I will be reading with intrest when it kicks off!!
Apparently Juwel are hard to convert to marine.

cant wait to see the progress.
keep us updated with plenty of pics :)

i think i can class this idea as an

EPIC FAIL

but have no fear im just going to do marine in a smaller tank, i have a bit more time now im down to 5 days a week working not 6 which is all good, and im always staring at my wonderful displays at work, and i have no fish at home anymore so i may as well do a little tank.

this is how it used to look:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=212008

hot topic i know .....

the tanks actually 54 litres now still an aq3 but i traded the 48 for the 54 soon after setting it up. ordered a hydor nano should be sufficent be hitting about 20 times roughly combined with the mini eheim powerhead i have for a bit ofsurface agitation. really this is going to be a proper simple set up.

i may of gone a bit excessive on sand i have 3 bags of it a fine medium and coarse. i was thinking a pair of jawfish but i may make u all flame and get a pair of true percs, lets face it there not noutourisly quick growers that travel vast areas in the wild, + when they get too big i can just move them to my work tank. but if anyone wants to flame go ahead =]

soon notorious fun in washing gravel.

prey tell why would an aggresive nature be effective with just a pair of clowns?

IME they will be fine not just my opinion. as ive stated clownfish really dont travel vast amounts percs are one of the smaller versions, though since i can get hold of pairs of jawfish (hopefully) then that may be an option since there so interesting to watch especially when they interact together.

stay tuned if you like, il grab some pictures not much will happen till i add my ready salted and get my powerhead, ive got an overkill heater too rena one i have lying around the rena smart heater 150.

Someone ought to tell my clowns that they are supposed to be agressive in nature then Truck. Granted, they are still juvis, but agressive they deffinately aren't...

stay tuned if you like, il grab some pictures not much will happen till i add my ready salted and get my powerhead, ive got an overkill heater too rena one i have lying around the rena smart heater 150.

I thought you wanted to keep fish in the tank, not crisps :lol:

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back