Weirdest Thing You've Seen In Your Tank?

Primous

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok so about 30 mins ago I saw the weirdest and unexpected thing happen in my tank. Short background to this is that I have a new scape in my 180 and as a result of trying to get a carpet going (minimal success so far) the tank has been fish free for just over a month. However, although I never added any fish food I had a lot of planaria and so added 3 diamonds to the tank on Sunday and within a few days (plus no feeding from me) planaria problem solved.

Now, I've kept diamons in some form since 09. To me, they look like bits of gliter or burt cinder waving in the wind when they swim at speed, something they often do. But in that time I've never given the diamons a planted tank to themselves. I've removed them and bred them seperatly on occassion but again they've always been part of the community. Never species only.

But anyway, today when my lights came on I witnessed something I've never read about and have only seen in discus. one of the three diamonds had fry attached to her in exactly the same way discus have fry feeding on their slime coat.

HeckelDiscusWithFry2_300pixels.jpg

At first I thought it was a severe infestation! Having never seen this before and thinking the diamond was being eaten alive it gave me goosebumps. So I quickly reached for the net and opened the lid. As I opened the lid the female moved off (remember I havent fedthem in some time) and it was only at that point I realised it was fry because they swam to the neaerest plant.

I should stress that this isn't (to my knowledge) documented behaviour. I have always believed that tetras show no parental care and would eat the fry and their own eggs on sight. So I'm really baffled and quite freaked out by this abnormal behaviour?

I have a couple of theories as to what was going on but I'm left wondering what weird things others have seen in their aquariums?

That is strange. I have a Cory catfish who was living in one of my ten gallons. I moved him, though, because the one he was using is about to become a QT. Anyway, he likes to swim up to the top, float on his side, and curve his body so he looks very much dead. He even gets as close to the tank wall as possible. Apart from poking him, I know he is alive because my shrimp haven't eaten him. I have kept Cory cats for a while and this is the first time I've seen such odd behavior. In his new tank, he stays extremely still on the substrate. My other cories were always zooming across the bottom. I had one, Hatchet, who liked to randomly fly up to the top of the water and flick the surface with his tail before darting under one of the trees.

I once found a duck in my fish tank.

My girlfriend shouted to me from the living room the other day "There is a tiny lizard or something sat on a rock in the fish tank!"

I had to explain to her that it was the empty skin of a cherry shrimp that had shed, it was pretty cute :p

Detritus worms most recently but many moons ago I had just set up a 2.5 unfiltered tank for a betta. A few days later I see his water is waaay cloudy! I was confused so I go over there and there are millions of tiny white things (oblong in shape) flittering around his tank! I promptly did a 100% water change and they never came back but to this day I have no idea what it was. D: All of the equipment/decor was brand new.

I had a cory that wasn't eating catfish pellets (that the rest of my 5 cories were). One day, while feeding the rest of my fish, I noticed that he was swimming at the surface, head tilted back, eating flakes from the surface! I have kept many cories, but never had one behave like that. He died only a month after I got him due most likely to not being able to get enough food.

I have also had a carnivorous common pleco, and a herbivorous oscar. The oscar would eat all the normal foods, but when I tried to feed the current resident common plec, he scooped every single of the peas into his mouth. He had so many stuffed in there that they would occasionally shoot out the back of his gills. Somehow he managed to swallow all of them. A week or so later I tried putting in sliced cucumber. He took the chunks, and shook them, until they fell apart into smaller pieces, which he devoured.

Most reactions

Back