Weird Beastie In My Tank

chefrossco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Last night i found this weird beastie swimming around my tank very fast. Im not sure what it is and was wondering if anyone could shed any light, as i dont want anything in there that shouldn't be.

Unfortuntatelyas its soo small (1cm at most) my camera wouldn't focus on it so i've had to put my artistic skills to use and sketch it. :crazy:

would appreciate any help you guys can give

SP_A0243.jpg

Thanks

If you see its eye like turn from side to side its def a mantis shrimp. Try make a trap of wait till hes in his rock then see if u cn pick the rock out then do what u think is right.

chefrossco, it's your choice to flush or not to flush. A lot of people do flush. If it's an ugly species w/not much color then it'll be hard to get rid of anyway. Then flushing would end the neglect it would more than likely face.

Anyways, it's not our place to judge you....really.

:)

Now that you've captured it, perhaps you can take a picture of it?

Agree with Ski on this one

Before you make any decisons what to do you need to know what it is for sure, the sketch is by no way conclusive that is a mantis to start with, that with the fact that you have caught it seemingly effortless makes me think its not one, but pics on here would help id it correctly

Also, especially if it is a mantid, or perhaps something else, these items are often desired by some... Might be worth selling it instead :good:

Was it swimming about, almost like a centipiede?

If so its a bristle worm, ive caught many swimming about. They are whitist/grey with a red head.

chefrossco, it's your choice to flush or not to flush. A lot of people do flush. If it's an ugly species w/not much color then it'll be hard to get rid of anyway. Then flushing would end the neglect it would more than likely face.

Anyways, it's not our place to judge you....really.

:)

without wishing to cause an argument, i don't think it is the"owners" choice to flush any stock! we have a responsibility to care for our stock and our environment. both of which are harmed by flushing.

Transfer to a sump is the "moral" solution to baddies. Away from the main display, they can live happily without caursing harm. If you don't have a sump, ask the LFS or a local as they will often take them on. A lot are fantastic detrietus eaters that can help in a sump also...

Before you decide what to do with it, please try to get a pic ;)

All the best
Rabbut

Most reactions

Back