Water Testing Results

jess:)

Reaction score
As advised i bought a testing kit today; an "API freshwater test kit"

I thought i'd share the results and get an opinion on what to do next

Nitrate:NO2- and NO3- both 0.
Ammonia: 0
PH (extreamly high!) The highest ph on the colour chart was 7.6 and i think mine was darker than that! So whats the best thing to use to lower ph?

Thanks, Jess

As advised i bought a testing kit today; an "API freshwater test kit"

I thought i'd share the results and get an opinion on what to do next

Nitrate:NO2- and NO3- both 0.
Ammonia: 0
PH (extreamly high!) The highest ph on the colour chart was 7.6 and i think mine was darker than that! So whats the best thing to use to lower ph?

Thanks, Jess

Well done on getting the kit but I find it a bit strange that your NO3 (Nitrate) is 0 :/

Have you used the High PH Range test bottle to find out how high your ph is? :unsure:

Got no fish in in yet if that makes a difference?
tested twice incase it was wrong but still 0.
just done the high range one, i think about an 8.2 for ph.

Got no fish in in yet if that makes a difference?
tested twice incase it was wrong but still 0.
just done the high range one, i think about an 8.2 for ph.

Hmm, most of the time there will be a reading for Nitrates whether there are fish in the tank or not :unsure:

Am I right in thinking you`re in the process of fishless cycling your tank? Are you going to be adding ammonia as is recommended in the beginners resource area?

Yes i am, i set it all up saturday night, and have only added watersafe and stuff i got with the filter.
I finish work at 8 every night this week so havnt had a chance to get any but im happy to keep a fishless tank for as long as it takes for it to be safe, So yes i suppose i shall start adding ammonia.

8.2 is fine for cycling, as the tank matures, it will drop slightly anyway and a lot of fish don't mind it being in the 8.0 range. If you really want to influence it once the tank is cycled, add bogwood, it will release tannins which will lower the pH, but also give you blackwater.

What is your substrate? Do you have any rocks in the tank?

And your tap water pH after you sit it in a clean glass for 24 hours?

8.2 is fine for cycling, as the tank matures, it will drop slightly anyway and a lot of fish don't mind it being in the 8.0 range. If you really want to influence it once the tank is cycled, add bogwood, it will release tannins which will lower the pH, but also give you blackwater.

What is your substrate? Do you have any rocks in the tank?

And your tap water pH after you sit it in a clean glass for 24 hours?

Substrate is gravel and i'll pop the tap water in a glass now and i'll put the ph on here tomorrow.

As for the ph 8 i was going to look at getting a couple of mollies, tetras and rainbow fish or guppies (that kind of thing) would that be ok for them?

What sort of gravel? Some can affect pH.

Most reactions

Back