Water test kits

caroliney

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have been doing lots of research on the internet on water test kits, and I noticed that Sang72 had a similar question about test strips.

What do I really need to test, should I use strips, tablets or liquid? I have taken my fish back to the LFS as they weren't happy and want to cycle without fish, but need to test the water and am so confused by the amount of information there is!

Less costly and ease of use are attractive - hence liking the 5in1 type strips, but there's no point if they don't work!

Can anyone offer some help?

Get the Master test Kit which includes Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, ph, kh, gh test. I think the liquid solution is better(the one that comes with the tube, kinda like a chemistry kit) that's the one i have. I heard a lot of stories about the test strips that if gives you inaccurate results. If you buy the kit your actually saving some cash compare buying them one by one...

Get the Master test Kit which includes Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, ph, kh, gh test.

I agree that those six tests should cover you. However, just as a note, I've think that many "Master Kits" only have five of those. Which one is omitted seems to vary (it's usually nitrates or KH).

I haven't used the tests that use tabs (only liquid and strip), but I think you'll find that the liquid tests are cheaper in the long run. The strips are certainly more convenient, and you might be able to halve the price by cutting each strip into two (lengthwise), but I don't find them to be very precise.

Thanks for your help - what brand are the master kits, and where can I find them?

Cheers :fish:

Most reactions

Back