water quality problems

the returner

Reaction score
hi , i did some water tests this morning and the results are as follow:

ph -7.4
amonia - 0
nitrite - 0.7
nitrate - 80

i did a 50% waterchange and the reults were not much different , the nitrite stayed the same and the nitrate dropped to 50ish

where am i going wrong or is this acceptable ?

i have 2 internal filters in a jewel vision 180 (180 being the capacity in litres) the tank is well planted and its been up n running for 4 weeks

fish

4 guppys
2 peppered cats
1 rtb shark
1 golden spotted plec
1 coolie loach

can anyone help ? :huh:

Youre getting there if you are still cycling, don't do such large water changes, also how many gallons is the tank.

It's around 45 gallons.

Also, I'm going to disagree with Wilder for once and say that you should do another large water change to bring down those nitrAtes and lower the nitrItes a bit. Even in a cycled tank, nitrAtes should be kept below 40 and idealy, below 20. As long as the fish are producing waste (so as long as there are living fish in there :p), there will be ammonia being converted to nitrIte so the cycle won't be stopped - though it might be slowed down slightly. However, I think your fish' well-being is a priority over a fast cycle in this case :).

Once you're fully cycled, add another couple of cory cats and at least 2 more kuhlies as these fish like to be in groups.

hi , thanks for your help . 1st question : did the water change today should i do another tomorrow ? and daily till the levels drop to 20 or below ? 2nd question : will these levels harm my fish? and 3rd question : would a full water change make make sense ?

thankyou :rolleyes:

No never do a full water change as you need mature water in your tank, I wouldn't change no more than what you have been doing, good luck, not long to go.

so in time the nirite and nitrate levels will come down if i keep doing the water changes ? and as the tank matures? would i nitrate treatment be any good (tetra aqua easy balance )or should i steer clear of chemicals, it does say its harmless to fish !

What are your nitrate readings in your tap water, only thing to keep nitrates down are water changes, don't add chemicals stay clear of them.

You lucky thing mine 12.5, 0 is the best result you can get shouldn't have any problems if you keep up with tank maintanance.

cheers. guess i must keep up the water changes till the levels drop to acceptable levels. thanks very much for your help.

billy :)

I should add that nitrIte is toxic to fish but will drop on its own once your tank is cycled. The water changes are more to lower nitrAte. Another way to reduce nitrAte is live plants - particularly fast-growing species.

Most reactions

Back