Water Chemistry Gone Haywire

lotsabob

Reaction score
Filling in the request for help form below, so sorry it's lengthy. And sorry I only seem to post here when I have a problem :-( Doesn't make me the most helpful member of the fish-keeping community, sorry.

Tank size: 43 litres
pH: 5.5 (fallen from 6.5 since yesterday. This is the lowest I've ever recorded; I've never even seen it as low as 6)
ammonia:I have the Nutrafin mini master kit, and it reads between 0.6 and 1.2 on the colour chart, but when I cross that with the PH, it would be zero as the ph is so low. But it can't be zero, as usually the test tube shows NO colour, and today there is a definite hint of pale yellow (yesterday, too)
nitrite: It was above 0.3mg/l yesterday, a very pink colour. I've never known the test turn pink before. Today it is below the colour for 0.3 on the scale. Hard to tell the shade sometimes.
nitrate: I read that this can be affected by a high nitrite presence, so I don't know how accurate it can be. But it has remained at under 10mg/l
kH:I don't currently have tests for this (I have today ordered API 5 in 1 test strips and a new ammonia kit)
gH: As above
tank temp: 23 degrees celsius (74f)

I have been guilty of not regularly testing the water, so I'm appawled to say that I don't know whether it has been creeping up or a sudden increase. I had got complacent with years of zero readings. I won't do that again.

Tank inhabitants: 1 x bristlenose plec, 2x albino corydoras, 2x bronze corydoras, 2x sterbai corydoras, 6x harlequin rasboras

Fish Symptoms: First thing I noticed was some fin and tail rot on the harlequins overnight. They have displayed ANY fin rot or fungus, even when there has been a touch of fungus on one of the corys. I treated the tank with melafix, and within two days it had completely cleared. They were off their food, though, and still aren't keen on what I'm feeding them. They always liked it, but I thought perhaps it was stale, and bought some new flake, which they're totally unimpressed with :-( Meanwhile I noticed one of the bronzes breathing very fast, and the others darting to the surface for air more frequently than they generally do. No harlequins at the surface though. Then gradually the other corys started breathing rapidly, too, and being easily startled, generally behaving in a stressed out fashion, though still foraging and feeding.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: It has dropped to around fortnightly recently. About 15-20% as a rule

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: No additives or media (other than dechlorination at water change)

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): No recent fish stock. The most recent fish were the two bronzes, one of the sterbai and one of the albinos, and that was about eight months ago. The plec and other sterbai I inherited with the set-up, four years ago. I put a fern in last week (I have lost the packaging - it was sold by Pets at home, with their plastic plants, but labelled as a natural product (I never knew about such things! I rinsed it thoroughly before adding it). It was just after that that the harlequins went weird, and huddled in one corner, so I took the fern out in case it was scaring them, and they spread straight out again, but then exhibited the fin rot (I've kept the fern out since). I also added a plastic/fabric plant, also packaged at Pets at Home. It's still in there. I have struggled to keep real plants large enough to be of use, but was keen to have greater covered areas for the fish's comfort and confidence.

Exposure to chemicals: No chemicals I can think of. I don't use harsh chemicals to clean the house, never use aerosols, and there has been no painting or solvent use in the building.

So - what I have done... three large-ish water changes since yesterday. About 25%, then a couple of hours later, about 20%. Today about 20% Last night I hoovered and it was grubbier than usual (I use the kind with the collection bag, which doesn't remove water), so I suspect I have been over-feeding. Rinsed the filter sponges (always in tank water).

The reason for going to Pets at Home was to get a new heater, as the one I had (tetratec, less than a year old!!) had ceased to be reliable. Several times over the Christmas holidays it had failed in the night, and the temperature fallen to about 21c - nearly room temperature. So the temperature has been a little eratic (within about a 4 degrees c range) for a couple of weeks. The new heater is working okay, so the temperature has stabilised once more.

A few months back I stopped using an air pump, after researching and finding apparently reliable sources saying that a filter which disturbs the air surface (mine does - the Interpet power filter PF1), provides more than sufficient aeration. My boyfriend isn't convinced, so last night I put the pump back on and air stone in.

I think that's everything. So - not sure why the nitrite is so high, not sure I can have a reliable nitrate reading because of the nitrite showing higher than usual (usually none), not sure why the ph has lowered by about 1 since yesterday.

I've tested my tap water, that's all okay, and ph neutral as it should be. I use API stresscoat to dechlorinate my water, heat part of it in the microwave until all of it is the same temperature as the tank, and add it soup bowl full by soup bowl full, gently, using a bowl I only use for the fish, and without splashing into the water surface.

I think that's all you need to know? I plan to continue with water changes. I wonder whether the filter media has failed, but I don't know why it would have. It hasn't seen tap water, it remains in tank water when I'm rinsing the filter and making water changes...I have stopped using carbon in the filter, and have two sponges instead, as I read that the carbon is not necessary.

I stopped the melafix after two days. I always tend to treat for the seven days indicated (on the rare occasions I have to - one of the albino corys is susceptible to fungus and fin rot from time to time), but given the fin rot cleared up so quickly, and the high nitrite was a worry for the lack of oxygen, I didn't really want to have anything in there also adversely affecting the oxygen... Last night after the two water changes, the corys appeared to be breathing more normally, but it seems a little fast again in some of them tonight. They have been feeding fine all the way through (bless them, nothing seems to put them off their food!). No redness or brown-ness of gills, no fungus or fin rot on them. Only one harlequin has been breathing noticibly fast, and he was at the surface a little yesterday before any of the water changes. Not at all since then, but his breathing is still faster than the others. I rarely see the plec, but he's been out at night in the usual spots and doesn't seem to be behaving differently.

Sorry for being so wordy - I have read a lot around these problems online, but when you have a specific set or parameters and circumstances, it can be hard to know which bits of what you read is actually applicable! Thank you to anyone who has read down this far and has anything to say like DON'T change any more water!! Or something ;-) Nearest supplies shop is 50 minuts bus ride away, and I'm working full time so will struggle to pop out to buy anything to add to the tank...

What is your substrate, and what plants, wood, decorations do you have? I've never even heard of pH going that low. What is it from the tap? I can imagine that the crashing pH is affecting your fish adversely, but can't see why it would drop like that. Are all your fish present and accounted for? Do you have any shrimp or snails?

What is your substrate, and what plants, wood, decorations do you have? I've never even heard of pH going that low. What is it from the tap? I can imagine that the crashing pH is affecting your fish adversely, but can't see why it would drop like that. Are all your fish present and accounted for? Do you have any shrimp or snails?

Hi there, thank you! I have three tiny sword (!) plants which have been in there a while, but are meagre, really, only about 5cm high now! Two pieces of bog wood that have been in there for several years, and a lrage flat stone raised on some other stones, which have been in there for a long time, too. Now you've got me wondering whether the stone is acidic... the tap water is ph7. But like I say, normal ph for me is 6.5. The substrate is small rounded pebbles. I want to change to sand now that I have decided that corys (in a bigger tank) are my primary fish love. No other decorations.

Yes, all fish present and accounted for, out and about, none hiding (except the plec, and he mostly hides) and none looking what I would call very poorly, just a little stressed, and the rapid breathing. They're just generally such a chirpy healthy bunch. No shrimp or snails. Thank you for the quick reply.

(PS - I have just looked back at my old posts and see I asked a question about how low was too low a ph for guppies, in March 2008! My reading then was 5.5 - so it HAS been this low before, with one of the corys and my plec in it, but not for years... I managed to re-house all those guppies I inherited with the tank. I had a hellish time with them breeding, and I can't bear to look at a guppy these days, will never have one again!)

I started to read your post but lost the will to live half way through! :D

So I'll cut to the chase. If you have a tank that has been fine for ages and you've done nothing obvious to cause the pH drop but then it suddenly starts to drop rapidly, it's almost always because of accumulated muck in the tank in general but in the substrate and filter in particular. All that muck gets broken down and in the process acidifies the water. Because your ph is low to start with the carbonate hardness (KH) will be low too and that's what normally stops this rapid pH drop.

So, low KH combined with high rate of acidification = rapidly dropping pH.

Solution: clean, clean, clean. Get that substrate, in particular, thoroughly cleaned and your filter too. In fact, if this were my tank, I'd put the fish in a bucket with heater and filter and completely remove the substrate to clean it.

If this is way off the mark because I didn't read the full post then sorry, just ignore it! :good:

:rofl:

I think this is an excellent suggestion. At the very worst, it won't do anything. But the benefits of completely cleaning your tank are many.
good.gif

I started to read your post but lost the will to live half way through! :D

Yeah, fair enough - I lost the will to live halfway through proofing it!!! :rolleyes: (sorry - didn't want to miss anything out!)

Yes, the vac bag was grubbier than usual on Wednesday, but I've been quite a regular vacuumer, and usually burrow quite deep (but gently) in the substrate. I take the filter to pieces and rinse at most water changes (rinsing sponges in the removed tank water), so the filter is pretty clean even in the hidden parts, and half of the sponge regularly replaced.

Perhaps I churned up muck putting in and taking out the recent fern and taking out a weak but established plant.

Your post is helpful - my instinct was to keep vacuuming and water changing, to try and steadily restore things to normal.

The corys are breathing less rapidly today (although don't you find that when you've been watching them so intently for days, you forget what their normal rate is??!) and they appeared a little playful with one another earlier. The harlequins are eating again (including the new food that they'd turned their nose up at).

The ph is still so low (5.0 this morning) - I don't know how low becomes harmful to them, but I'm expecting it will start to rise as I clean and water change.

Just one last question: are you absolutely sure your pH readings are accurate? I'd be tempted to get a brand new pH test kit to be sure. Just a thought.

Glad your fish are looking better today, though. And it sounds like your cleaning regimen is excellent.
good.gif

Just be aware that as the pH rises, the ammonia will become more toxic, although not really a problem until around pH 7. And, I reread your stats again, should have done it properly the first time, and I would say you're going through a mini-cycle as you have nitrite too! So have you perhaps had any power outs in your area recently or something else that would affect the filter? The cleaning is imperative whatever the reason though so keep at it.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input.

This Old Spouse - good point. I have some API test strips coming in the post, but I'll get a ph test kit tomorrow just to get an answer quickly. My plan (as I had let the testing slip) is to use the strips weekly to check for no change (once things are normal again), with a full liquid test kit (a new one) to be able to get accurate readings if anything starts to change. I've had my current kit a while - you're right, it could be unreliable.

Prime Ordeal - I wondered whether the eratic temperatue in there could have affected the filter, when the heater was playing up, but wasn't sure how it would. Not sure about powercuts... although, the tank light timer seemed to be coming on later in the morning, which could indicate it hasn't been ticking over at some point...which would suggest power failure. I just assumed I'd got confused about the on-off times. Nice detective work! That's a possibility, then. Worried at the idea of a mini-cycle, but if I keep water changing and cleaning...fingers crossed.

Really appreciate your assistance, thanks again.

Yes, there's little else you can do other than to accept that you're in a mini-cycle. But that's no problem, just test regularly and keep the ammonia and nitrite under control. Time and care will heal it!

Most reactions

Back