Water Changes/maintenance.

The Taffy Apple

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Evening all, hope this thread finds you all well.

Is there anything you particulary HAVE to do when doing any of the above? Is there anything you do 'different'? Have you invented anything to make any of it easier?

I have to have a good musical album on, but always end up having to turn it down when slowing down/switching off my external filter (Genesis was yesterdays' choice).
I don't like to do anything just before a bank holiday weekend or on a friday night (my water provider openly admits to adding more 'cleansers' just before these times).
The main one though- i much prefer having a quiet house to do it, people and stuff simply get in my way.

Any thoughts?

Terry.

Me my dog and Bob Marley just had a good cleaning session on my problamatic 30 gal tank everythings coverd in a lite dusting of crap but ill keep plugging away with the twice weekly changes till my tank is sorted.

Agree with the times you use the water monday to friday only also after all the problems ive been having I constantly stir the dechlorinated water to oxygenate and also put an airstone in the new water and leave it for several hours to make sure the conditioner has done its job then I match the temp and syphon back into the tank.

A chore at times especially when the kids are home but needs must I dream of the day my new tank is all set up planted, stocked and running so i can go back to weekley changes once amonth even better lol :)

Me my dog and Bob Marley just had a good cleaning session on my problamatic 30 gal tank everythings coverd in a lite dusting of crap (after the clean) but ill keep plugging away with the twice weekly changes till my tank is sorted.

Agree with the times you use the water monday to friday only also after all the problems ive been having I constantly stir the dechlorinated water to oxygenate and also put an airstone in the new water and leave it for several hours to make sure the conditioner has done its job then I match the temp and syphon back into the tank.

A chore at times especially when the kids are home but needs must I dream of the day my new tank is all set up planted, stocked and running so i can go back to weekley changes once amonth even better lol :)

I don't like pouring the water from jugs into my tank so I always leave it siphon from a 10L Jerry can, I can just sit back with no filling lifting and pouring haha

I enjoy working on my tanks. Even though I have a python gravel cleaner I don't use it. I much rather drain the water into buckets and carry them one at a time to empty them, then to refill I carry buckets again. The python hose sits under my bed collecting dust. I like an empty house while I do water changes, I don't play music during tank cleaning like the previous posters do.

I have to use my customized sand vac / water changer. I attached a brass fitting on the output hose end that attaches to a garden hose (hose pipe) that drains out to my back yard. On the suction end I replaced the regular gravel vac attachment with a long piece of one inch hose. Once the syphon is started I insert the hose into a 2 foot section of clear rigid plastic creating a long wand with more suction than a large diameter conventional gravel vac attachment. When it's time to refill I attach my garden hose to my kitchen sink with a faucet adapter. No buckets for me.

Most reactions

Back