Brick wall when attempting water change

Bertha

Reaction score
Long story short: Jan-Mar this year I had a series of medical procedures that wiped out most of my memory.

Today I began to get my equipment together for a water change and I stopped dead: I couldn't remember what to do. I sat down with the gravel vac/tube in my hand and thought. And thought.

Having to ask for help for a procedure I'd learned from a library book, supplemented by youtube, is very embarrassing.

I'm not asking anyone to walk me through it. I'm just asking where I can find a thorough presentation of the procedure. There's got to be something online. Or, if you know of a perfect youtube video, maybe you can send me a link to that.

Plus, if you have anything that might soothe the embarrassed almost-beginner-again, that would be great.

Thanks for reading; thanks for your help.

Bertha

PS I was just going to edit this but what I was going to add is gone. Can't remember it.

are you using a gravel vac and buckets to do water change? Or are you using a Python Water changer device that attaches to your sink?
How big are your tanks?

are you using a gravel vac and buckets to do water change? Or are you using a Python Water changer device that attaches to your sink?
How big are your tanks?
Fishmanic, I am a little ol' novice. My single tank holds 15 gallons but I'm told that by its measurements only 10 gallons of that is for fish. I don't know exactly where the other five gallons went, but I suspect they're behind a rear panel along with filtration and heater.* I've seen Pythons on youtube, and I don't believe it's an option for my little tank. I use the gravel vac and buckets method. (I wonder if I'd remember that if I didn't know exactly where the equipment is and that it is familiar to me.)

* But that sectioned-off area doesn't seem big enough for five gallons.

substrate and ornament/decor also decrease water capacity.

how to do a water change with syphon

When refilling, be sure tap water is approximately the same temperature as tank. And be sure to use the proper amount of dechlorinator added to bucket when refilling the tank using tap water.

substrate and ornament/decor also decrease water capacity.

how to do a water change with syphon
Very helpful video. Thank you. I mentioned that one of the ways I first learned to do water changes was by watching youtube videos. But after watching this one you posted, I wonder how I ever got a single water change done without damaging my tank - or my fishes.

I jumped right in after watching this video a couple of times. The only casualty was the towel on the floor when the tube slipped out of the bucket. The fish were a little freaked, but they chilled shortly after I was done. At least they weren't so stressed that they tried to jump out.

I'll be taking out the one decorative item I have in there. It's kinda big. I'm going to plant the tank as soon as I can get around easily (foot surgery at 630 this morning)

Thanks again, quite sincerely, for your help. Sorry for the tardy follow-up.

I won't add to how to use the vacuum cleaner for others have done that perfectly already.
Long story short: Jan-Mar this year I had a series of medical procedures that wiped out most of my memory.
No worries. I had a stroke back in 2014. And I'm still dealing with memory loss when it comes to short term memory on a daily basis. This is also the reason why I've stopped giving lectures.
Having to ask for help for a procedure I'd learned from a library book, supplemented by youtube, is very embarrassing.
There's nothing to be embarrassed about.

I'm sorry to hear it, e.k. Was lecturing your livelihood?
Nope. But I'm a passionate aquarist for 50 years now. And I gave lectures on request at aquarium clubs and other societies in the past.

Most reactions

Back