Water Changes + Hot Water From Combi Boiler

psp83

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

I normally do a 15-20% water change every Saturday and when filling the tank back up I put enough Prime in the tank for the whole tank then connect the hose pipe to the cold water tap and fill the tank up slowly. I leave the heater on when I do this.

Our combi boiler hot water goes through these crystal like things (water softener?) so that's why I don't use the hot tap to make the temp the same as the tank temp.

Would the hot water be safe to use in the tank or is it fine to carry on doing the same way I've been doing it ? (the fish seem to love the colder water)

Paul

I wouldn't use soft water because those crystals are salt.

I maintain water softeners among other things. The salt is not used to soften the water, it is used to regenerate the resin media that does the softening. So the salt is never in the actual output of the softener.

Think about it. If it was, then softened water would be salt water that we couldnt drink.

But we can.

Tom

I wouldn't use soft water because those crystals are salt.

I maintain water softeners among other things. The salt is not used to soften the water, it is used to regenerate the resin media that does the softening. So the salt is never in the actual output of the softener.

Think about it. If it was, then softened water would be salt water that we couldnt drink.

But we can.

Tom
An 8-ounce (237-milliliter) glass of softened water generally contains less than 12.5 milligrams of sodium. Okay for us but not sure about freshwater fish.

I use the hot water from my tap but it's literally run straight from cold water mains through to the boiler then to turned into hot water. I don't have a hot water tank storing the water and I've never had any issues in regards to fish in my tank not sure if it's the right way to do it but it works for ok for me

Thanks for the replies.

I will carry on with using cold water & keeping the heater on.

Likewise, I have an old syyle boiler & use hot/warm water from my tap to refill my tank & touch wood, no problems!! .

Ok, I've found out a bit more..

The hot water runs through Siliphos, it prevents scale and stops corrosion.

This is the system it runs through.
combi2.jpg

Most reactions

Back