Water Change

Captain Birds Eye

Reaction score
Please can someone answer my question?

Is it true that when doing a water change that you can use the water from your tap as long as you run it the night before without having to use 'Tapsafe' fluid?.......by this I mean to put it in large bucket overnight!

I was told this at my local Aquarium shop but this is the first I have heard of this so am a bit unsure of what to do for the best!

Regards,

Mark

That will let any chlorine gas off, if you're aerating this bucket as well. Also it does not take care of chloramie or heavy metals like most dechlorinaters do. Though I've done water changes with water straight out of the tap no problems before, many people don't recommend this. It's always safer to use some form of water conditioner.

Which LFS told you this by the way, as I'm local, just interested?

That will let any chlorine gas off, if you're aerating this bucket as well. Also it does not take care of chloramie or heavy metals like most dechlorinaters do. Though I've done water changes with water straight out of the tap no problems before, many people don't recommend this. It's always safer to use some form of water conditioner.

Which LFS told you this by the way, as I'm local, just interested?

It was 'Wyevale' at shurdington...............

Just read a thread on this subject which has made my mind up to use 'Tapsafe' to be on the safe side..[no joke intended]!

Thanks though Jayjay!

Ps..........went and got my fish at Blooms today down at junction 12 M5

A very good LFS, Aquatic Habitat. What fish did you get then from Blooms? I picked up two Asian bumblebee catfish from there yesterday.

That is the Wyevale one, on Shurdington road, Brockworth? That is Aquatic Habitat.

Also would you be interested in some rainbow cichlid fry, I'm pushing to get these guys homes :lol:

Ive used tap water for years and years and Ive never had any problems with my fish dying or getting disease.

Thing is have got quite a few in tank and worried of over crowding......have 120 litre tank but now have 2 sword tails,3 platys,1 plec,2 black bellied limas,and the tank is only just 4 weeks old!..........another thing having introduced the new ones dinner time i have noticed they are all at the top of tank and it states it could be due to dirty water or over crowd so am a bit concerned in adding more!
Mark

Is there a lot of ripples/waves at the surface to allowed oxygen/CO2 exchange?

Ive used tap water for years and years and Ive never had any problems with my fish dying or getting disease.

Garbage do you mean that you get it from tap same time and no 'Tapsafe'...on the day??

Mark

No does not seem to be any ripples

No there is no ripples

Move your filter so there are ripples, will get more oxygen into the water. As when the fish are all up at the surface it's sometimes due to lack of oxygen.

Quote:

Garbage do you mean that you get it from tap same time and no 'Tapsafe'...on the day??

Mark

Yup, Ive been doing once a week water changes of about 30% each week for the last 6 years straight from the hose. Ive got one of those 50ft tubes that streaches outside to the hose and I use it to take out and replace the water. Never used tapsafe or any other chemicals except for when I 1st started the tank for maybe the 1st month. Never had any adverse effects whatsoever.

I never have to add tapsafe on small water changes,only do it if i'm doing a big water change...as ive got so many big tanks i would have to use a bottle for each!lol

I use pond dechlor, as it's more concentrated and cheaper, thus saving money. A medium size bottles lasts me a good few months on all my tanks.

Most reactions

Back