Water Change

Quote:

Garbage do you mean that you get it from tap same time and no 'Tapsafe'...on the day??

Mark

Yup, Ive been doing once a week water changes of about 30% each week for the last 6 years straight from the hose. Ive got one of those 50ft tubes that streaches outside to the hose and I use it to take out and replace the water. Never used tapsafe or any other chemicals except for when I 1st started the tank for maybe the 1st month. Never had any adverse effects whatsoever.

Garbage, do you know if your water supplier uses just chlorine or chloramines too? Chlorine on it's own breaks down once the water is in open air, plus the surface agitation of the filter, even the movement of the water being poured into the tank will dissipate the chlorine gas. Chloramines on the other hand are chlorine stabilised with ammonia, which makes it virtually impossible to break down without the use of a tapwater conditioner. The conditioner also has other uses such as breaking down heavy metals and other compounds found in the water that may be harmful to the fish.

While it is not essential to use a conditioner in some circumstances or areas, i think the relative cost of using a water conditioner, to the problems that may occur if the chloramines kill off the filter bacteria colony, and the resultant problems afterwards make it a worthwhile safety net.

Chloramines on the other hand are chlorine stabilised with ammonia, which makes it virtually impossible to break down without the use of a tapwater conditioner.

Nitrifing bacteria use that ammonia. There was a great thread, where it was explained, that the bacteria come from the tap water supply, these then used the Chloramines from the tap water, the chlorine gases off as you said. The only problem then is heavy metals from the water supply, which some people don't have to worry about.

Chloramines on the other hand are chlorine stabilised with ammonia, which makes it virtually impossible to break down without the use of a tapwater conditioner.

Nitrifing bacteria use that ammonia. There was a great thread, where it was explained, that the bacteria come from the tap water supply, these then used the Chloramines from the tap water, the chlorine gases off as you said. The only problem then is heavy metals from the water supply, which some people don't have to worry about.

Yeah is really depends what the water is like out of the tap where you are. Hey there's huge variances between water supply quality in the the uk nevermind the differences between different countries. You have to decide what works for you and the fish you are keeping, but i would say if you have any doubts, use a conditioner, it's safer to use it and not need it, than not use it and have countless problems as a result.

Meh...my water is fine from the hose for small water changes

Most reactions

Back