Water Change During Cycle

SensesFail

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My ammonia is being processed within 12 hrs from 4ppm to 0. My nitrite is off the scale and the nitrate is extremely pink off any colours I have on my chart( chart colours seem darker) do I need to just wait for the nitrite to drop or should I be doing water changes to help things?

I added mature media a week past Monday and I got my nitrite spike the following Sunday/Monday. How long does it usually take for the nitrite to drop? Need to order fish to get them before exams but unsure when to order for as it's a risk tank may not be ready.

Cheers guys!

If the ammonia is still being processed in a fishless cycle, I would not do a water change. However, if the nitrite processing bacteria do not "catch up" then as some point the buiild up of nitrite will start inhibiting the ammonia processing bacteria (as the nitrite is their waste product).

So if 4ppm ammonia suddenly stops being processed within 12 hours, then its time for a water change... Or at least that's my understanding
wink.gif

One big water change at this stage could help things along, as well as lowering nitrate it would introduce minerals which the bacteria can use

If you are clearly at the nitrite spike you could reduce the ammonia dose to 2-3ppm at the usual add hour. In a while you will see the nitrite drop to zero in 12 hours, that is the time to build the dose back up to 4-5 ppm, when that dose drops to zero in 12 hours you are ready to start your qualifying week

I`d say you have a while to go yet, have a look at some other keepers logs at the same stage as you`re at, I dont have my journal to hand but from memory it was about 20 days from the stage you`re at to double zeros at 12 hours off a 5ppm dose

One big water change at this stage could help things along, as well as lowering nitrate it would introduce minerals which the bacteria can use

If you are clearly at the nitrite spike you could reduce the ammonia dose to 2-3ppm at the usual add hour. In a while you will see the nitrite drop to zero in 12 hours, that is the time to build the dose back up to 4-5 ppm, when that dose drops to zero in 12 hours you are ready to start your qualifying week

I`d say you have a while to go yet, have a look at some other keepers logs at the same stage as you`re at, I dont have my journal to hand but from memory it was about 20 days from the stage you`re at to double zeros at 12 hours off a 5ppm dose
Agree, Depending on your water chemistry high nitrates can effect the pH levels, like anon02 says "lowering nitrate it would introduce minerals which the bacteria can use".
Is your pH holding up?
Skins.

Agree, Depending on your water chemistry high nitrates can effect the pH levels, like anon02 says "lowering nitrate it would introduce minerals which the bacteria can use".
Is your pH holding up?
Skins.

My ph is around the 7.0 now was 7.5. My next testing time is 20:30 tonight so I'll see how the ammonia is :) so when the ammonia stops being processed within the 12 hrs like now then it's time to do a good water change? Until then just hold back?

I'll check out other logs :) see what time frames I'm looking at :)

Is your pH holding up?
Skins.

My ph is around the 7.0 now was 7.5. My next testing time is 20:30 tonight so I'll see how the ammonia is :) so when the ammonia stops being processed within the 12 hrs like now then it's time to do a good water change? Until then just hold back?

I'll check out other logs :) see what time frames I'm looking at :)
Your ph is very borderline so a big water change+gravel vac would not hurt.
Skins.

You quoted my post but answered Goats post :lol:

I was replying to your post of 9.26 today, you asked if a or some water change(s) would help :good:

You quoted my post but answered Goats post :lol:

I was relying to your post of 9.26 today, you asked if a or some water change(s) would help :good:
I need another coffee now, lol :lol:

So a water changes is required just say 50%? 190 litre tank? I dosed the tank at 8:30 this morning to 3-4ppm. Am I better off waiting until 20:30 before water changing then re dosing? If I was to do the water change before wont it mess up the times as I'll have to dose with ammonia once the water is replaced?

I would do your water change(75-90%) when your next dosage of h/h ammonia is due.

I have not changes the water in my 180 litre since I started my cycle about 25 days ago. My 10 meters of syphon pipe arrived this morning so will be doing a massive water change after tomorow mornings test but before dosing (if that makes sense).

When i did a giant water change in my fishless cycle i would say it set the cycle back 4days to a week. I wouldn't do a water change unless it's really neccesary but others have had better experiences with doing water changes mid cycle.

I was also gonna ask about changing the gravel for my sand etc or it best leaving that until I'm fully cycled sticking with the gravel. Don't really wanna set things bk hmm but it's catch 22 if I get delayed due to low Ph

Most reactions

Back