Warning : Product

lewiss

Fish Herder
Reaction score
To my shock and outrage I have just discovered a product they has caused a very ill effect on my fish and corals, despite saying it is fine!

The product: AQUASCAPE construction epoxy!

I literally followed te instructions and within minutes my fish started heavy breathing and were on their sides. My corals all closed up and puffed out.

Blooming have no water for a water change so I've smacked in new carbon and water changed with some old water I had left.

Fingers crossed there won't be any casualties but it certainly does not look good.

Thanks for the heads up

Who's the maker I'd complain if I was you

I'm no salty but even i know thats shocking!

Have you contacted the company?
Keep a log of what happened right from when you put the putty in, then at least you have it written down in case anything gets serious.
Pictures aswell.

Hope everything pulls through, i know salties are worth much more than regular trops a lot of the time.

Not very conclusive, if it says it's safe then it probably is, they wouldn't go around making false claims, there is probably something else causing the change.

DD Aquarium Solution is the company.

So annoyed. It's fresh water too! Beware!!! My regal and gramma are really suffering. :sad: so annoyed.

I'll write to the company but I can only imagine what excuse they'll come up with.

Apparently some of the stuff like that apparently takes the oxygen out the water to cause it to harden. Funny you post this as I post my thread haha :D

Let me find the threads I read about it lewis! will PM!

Did you read the instructions? It does withdraw oxygen from the water column whilst it is curing which is why using it sparingly is recommended, as well as additionally aerating the tank.

Not very conclusive, if it says it's safe then it probably is, they wouldn't go around making false claims, there is probably something else causing the change.

If everything was fine before the stuff wa sput in, then surely thats pretty conclusive?

And lewiss write away, email trading standards, contact as many people as you can to let them know whats happened.

Well they were all fine, swimming as usual, I fed them they ate. All normal. Made this putty, put it in and within minutes they started breathing heavily.

Nothing else went in or changed about the tank.

Mate it's well known that underwater epoxy does this which Is why it should be handled under water as little as possible. Get some good surface agitation going (real good) and all will be fine, your skimmer is going to be out of action for a few days tho lol.

Read my latest post, it would appear that Weezawoo has posted the same thing, it withdraws oxygen from the water upon curing.

I quote from the instructions: • BE CAREFUL ABOUT THE USE OF LARGE QUANTITIES AT ONE TIME IN TANKS STOCKED WITH CORALS OR FISH.
• ENSURE THAT MARINE AQUARIUMS ARE WELL AERATED AND SKIMMED DURING USE OF THE PRODUCT AS CLOUDING OF THE
WATER FROM OVER-MANIPULATION UNDER WATER MAY IN SOME CASES REDUCE OXYGEN LEVELS. MANIPULATION IN A
SEPARATE BODY OF WATER OR MICROWAVING WILL REDUCE CLOUDING DURING FINAL USE.

http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/files/Aquascape%20English%20Version%20_5_.pdf

I've got my powerheads churning water like never before. Only a small amount in there though as it caused a problem straight away. I read the instructions carefully and did it. Then when it happened I re-read about 2x and I did everything like it says..

Its why I asked about it in my thread just now :lol:
Definately get the powerheads on the surface as much as pos! Hope your fish are ok :D

This answers my question on whether to risk it or not!

Don't worry mate, everyone has done this at least once :)
All will be fine.

Why did I do it! I didn't even really need it!! Not only that my skimmer packed in yesterday! Lol :lol:

Bad times!!

So much for a relaxing Friday night with the mrs, she's going spare!

Most reactions

Back