Wanting To Try Marines

TATTIESCONE

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys
At the momment i have 3 tanks, the main tank is an aqua one ar980(240l) and at either side i have an aquastart 500(65l)
The lid on the aqua one ar980 is not very good for hanging say a protein skimmer on the back or whatevers needed. would i be able to do anything with the tanks on either side as regards a sump or skimmer to maintain the correct water etc.
These questions may sound like mindless drivel but as everyone says theres no such thing as a stupid question when you dont have the knowledge to begin with. Any help most welcome. Thanks :rolleyes:

:hi: Tattiescone!!!

Good to see more and more new members each day! :good: the site is really booming with interest at the moment and we have a new updated resource centre to help you read up on tank setups, sumps, livestock care etc etc and if you can't find the answer there, we're happy to help here in the chit chat section! :)

I don't really understand your question but I'll answer what I think your asking and if I'm wrong then just say!! :lol:

So yes it is possible to put intakes and outakes from sumps and pumps into the sides etc rather than the back but you may not need some of the equipment you mention.

What size and dimentions is your tank?

Do you have a lighting unit?

What do you plan to stock? Fish, coral, inverts???

Have you read or have any experience with marine tanks before or a complete beginner?

Looking forward to your reply!!

Lewis

Here's the link to the resource centre encase you haven't already seen it. :good:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/361833-marine-resource-centre/

Hi lewiss
Thanks for replying.
The main tank dimensions are 40L x 15W x18H and yes i have 3lights in the hood. I was hoping to have fish,coral and inverts once i have the right equipment and knowledge.
My main tank is an aqua one ar980 im not sure if your familiar with these tanks, the hood is in 2 parts 1 part has the lights and the 2nd part at the back has the filter system which is kind of in 3 sections.
I dont really want to cut away any part of the hood at the back to accomodate say a skimmer or what would be needed for sump connections but then i dont have any experience with these things so i might not be making much sense.
I did have a marine setup before(many years ago) which had clown fish, damsels, inverts alas without the proper equipment and knowledge things didnt last that long.
Getting back to what i had posted i was kind of asking if i could use one of the tanks at the side of my main one as some sort of sump or whatever? Thanks again :good:

:hi: to the salty side of the forum

yes you could use the larger tank for display and the smaller tank as asump, it would have to be lower than the display tank. I assume as you dont want to drill holes you will be going for an overflow box?

Hi seffieuk
Thanks for replying. Your right about not wanting to drill holes etc, i was wondering if i could put whatever was needed in the 65l tank next to the main tank and then kind of feed everything into the main tank, but im not very clued up on how sumps or skimmers work, would we be talking about hose connections going from the equipment that would be in the small tank into the main tank.
I hope this makes some kind of sense, thanks :blush:

Hi seffieuk
Thanks for replying. Your right about not wanting to drill holes etc, i was wondering if i could put whatever was needed in the 65l tank next to the main tank and then kind of feed everything into the main tank, but im not very clued up on how sumps or skimmers work, would we be talking about hose connections going from the equipment that would be in the small tank into the main tank.
I hope this makes some kind of sense, thanks :blush:

Like Lewis said mate check out the resource thread. I think HG done a post on sump systems and it's very detailed. An Exellent read IMO. That should have all the answers you need.

Like seffie said the tank you use as the sump would need to go lower than the main tank as you rely on gravity to push the water down from the main tank and into the sump.
In the sump you can house your equipment (skimmer/reactor etc) or even setup a refugium. It can also house your filter media (phosphate remover/act carbon etc) and then you would have a return pump to pump freshly filtered/skimmed water back into the display tank.

Just Think the sump as a very large glass external canister filter. You can even put your heater/s in there also.

Most reactions

Back