Wahey!

stucolls

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My master test kit has finally arrived so im off to test my water!!! be prepared for a hunderd posts on my results and what to do next lol

Stu

Ok here are my results, im aware that they are all too high, and that I ballsed up by adding fish too soon, but whay do I do now, the tank has been running for about 4 and half weeks and had fish in for about 2 and a half to 3 weeks.

Results:
PH : 7.6
Ammonia : 0.25
Nitrite : 5.0
Nitrate : 20

So come on you experienced fishy people, give me your best!!

Cheers
Stu

Ok here are my results, im aware that they are all too high, and that I ballsed up by adding fish too soon, but whay do I do now, the tank has been running for about 4 and half weeks and had fish in for about 2 and a half to 3 weeks.

Results:

Cheers
Stu

yea you need your ammonia to 0.00 befor you can add fish. and you also need your nitrite alot lower and also your nitrate. but ph looks fine bieng i dont no what type of fish your going to add.

I already have fish, thats what I said, its been running approx 4.5 weeks with fish in for approx 3.5 weeks.
I found this website after setting up so ballsed up like a lot of people, so I currently have 11 fish in there, mollys, platys, corys and 2 fry.

my biological filter once went all tits up due to what i think was someone in my house turning off my filter (i was terribly annoyed!!) my nitrites hit a high. so i did a 10 % water change, and added some stress zyme which has live bacteria to kick start or maintain a biological filter. i tested the water every day for the next few days and the nitites dropped. 2 days later they were back on 0. i had a high nitrates so did another water change. hope this helps

oh, and i forgot to add- i added some more stress zyme a week later to just ensure the biolgogical filter was maintained and did more frequent water cahnges for a while.

hmmm I certainly plan on doing a few water changes, the stress zyme is a bit pants really, read alot on it and it seems to be basically tap conditioner and a protective coating for the fish, the only products with live bacteria in are bactinettes and hmmmmm cant remember the other name as they are refrigerated, but thanks anyhow

Stu

the best thing you can do for is a water change and do them a little more often til you see your levels dropping,
atleast you now know what your looking for

xXx

you're probably right!! yeah- i must admit i was abit suspect that something can contain live bacteria if its not kept in the right conditions! i just mentioned it cos it seemed to work for me... tho it was probably more likely the water changes and turning the filter back on- lol! hmm, you've got me thinking that maybe i should write to these ppl... cos surely thats false advertising if it doesnt really have live bacteria..

Results:

Cheers
Stu

yea you need your ammonia to 0.00 befor you can add fish. and you also need your nitrite alot lower and also your nitrate. but ph looks fine bieng i dont no what type of fish your going to add.

I don't think a nitrate reading of 20mg/l is much to worry about.

The nitrAte levels arent't anything to worry about... the nitrItes are though!!!
Looks like you're going to be doing a lot of water changes! Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed for your lil fishies...

il correct my own post; nitrates under 40 are ok. so 20 is nothing to worrie about.

Your filter appears to still be cycling. Your bacteria which convert ammonia are almost there, going on your test results, and your bacteria which convert nitrite are just starting to appear.

Your nitrite is far too high, this could kill your fish. Do 50% water changes twice daily until ammonia and nitrite are both reading 0.25 or less. You must then maintain these levels with more water changes as necessary until ammonia and nitrite are both 0. Your filter is then 'cycled'. DO NOT add more fish until you have acheived this!!

Nitrate of 20, as said, is nothing to worry about, just keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't shoot up. If it does, again, water changes as necessary. It is a good idea to test the nitrate level of the water from your tap. This will give you a good idea of the minimum reading you will get.

PH is fine at 7.6 for most fish.

Hope this helps. Good luck, and let us know how you get on. :good:

Most reactions

Back