Veiws On Mirror Carp

Bit of a pointless argument really. If on the basis if your research you think they'd be fine in the tank, put them in. No one here can stop you and no one here has the final word on it. It doesn't sound like it will be permanent.

Not that you SHOULD put them in, in my opinion ;) I'd put them outside and let them take their chances.

You make a fair point, I just didn't want to cause harm to the fish they will only be in the tank for about 6months then straight to the pond they go,and if you are thinking, why don't u just buy larger mirror carp there rather expensive and babies are around £4 each :) and I don't want them to just take there chances as surely that is cruel eg putting a mollie in with an oscar??

How small are they? With plenty of plant cover, especially in shallower areas, you'd be surprised how well they can hide.

I think the 'wilder' outside pond would give them a better start in life and make them more robust to outdoor life, temperatures, feeding etc, compared to the warmer artificial world of a tank.

What about a third option - another tank, without a heater, until they grow a bit?

There about 3inchs atm maby a little more, you do make a good point maby finding a cheap tank to put them in would be a good idea I didn't think of that

if a carp even tiny carp was ina tropical tank it would just keep tryin to jump out thats all they do when the weathers hot in the pond and they would be constantly wanting to spawn so its a big no no

Didn't know they jumped, maby a coldwater tank is best I suppose I'm gunna have to buy a cheap one, I've looked online and they suggest they should be kept at 22 to 30 I don't get it :S

when there in hot water (high summer time they jump in and out the water, i go carp fishin and when its hot they start spawnin and just dive up an back in the water

Perhaps in their original Asia but consider where they will have been bred and the temperatures they are accustomed to now.

I still think going straight in the pond is the best solution, but if you don't want to that's your choice. A coldwater tank is the best compromise. Just don't put them in the tropical tank, I think it will cause them all sorts of problems in the long run.

My mate is going to have to buy the tank if he wants me to look after them then lol, sounds like a lot of hassel already

It does indeed. Give him a bit of mature filter media, but I think that should be as far as it goes, they're not your problem!

Think that's going to be the plan, cheers for the advice, I've already got a filter running along side mine so ill use that

best thing for any type of carp is a spade a decent pond liner and a big filter

heres a picture of my pond took me months to dig it up got about 6 mirrors in this 9 foot deep 12 foot wide each way

2zpo2so.jpg

Wow big pond nice job!!! Just found out my mate has already bought the mirror carp, and doesn't want to get a tank for them due to funds, so I now have them for sale if you know anyone?? Or he might have to take them back, you should have hired a digger for the pond!! But fair play on digging it by hand!!!

evetytime i've fished for big specimans like the mirrors and its hot they just bask at the top of the water and hardly feed aswell

Most reactions

Back