Vanishing Pleco

However, I would expect your other fish such as the neons and the danios etc to go before the plec as it has better defences to being eaten.

But it would also be the slowest and therefore easiest to catch, so it is definitely a possibility - if size allows, that is.

After lights out.. with maybe just a TV on, drop in an algae thin and keep an eye out for him/her. Most pleco's are more nocturnal and are very active after lights out. The food should draw him/her out.

What kind of fish is the "shark cat"? I did a quick Google and see fish called "Cat Sharks" but they are SW fish. Some types of "shark" looking fish can be aggressive against similar species.

It is a type of catfish. Here is a link for them.
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/sharkcat.htm

Jim,

You need to start reading profiles on fish before you buy them. That fish isn't even close to being compatible with your tank and other fish.

You are right, I need to do more research. I think i'm going to give the shark to a friend who has a 120 gal tank and get a couple of cories.

eek yep shark ate him...and he most def needs a brack tank...i read about all my fish now before i add him...until i bought my cichlids! gives me fewer choices lol on species

how big is the shark and how big is the plec?

The shark is about 2 1/2 inches and the pleco was 2 inches.

Then as I said, I doubt the shark ate him.

but the tetras and danios are fast swimmers so would be good at avoiding the shark whereas plecs are slower

a tetra isn't going to stand a chance in an enclosed space with a predator regardless of how fast it can move. Sharks can move just as quick...

But it would also be the slowest and therefore easiest to catch, so it is definitely a possibility - if size allows, that is.

The slowest, yes but it doesn't need to move quickly. Once it has locked it's spines into place any fish that manages to get it in it's mouth will generally spit it back out again unable to swallow it due to the extended spines , assuming the plec isn't dwarfed by the predator of course. The tetras and danios would be a far easier meal all round imo...

Most reactions

Back