Value Of Decoration

Jake Jackson

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Like I said in my other post, I have driftwood, and rocks and a few plants. But I was also going to add some bubbles for aeration, then I educated myself, so now I've made arrangements to pick up an Aqua Clear 802 powerhead for my 55gal.

But still was intrested in bubbles.LOL.

So, I'm asking, how does bubbles and plants fair in a big cichlid tank? Waste of time and money, they'll just tear it all up? Just put it in there and it will be okay? Or does it vary by the fish personalities?

you mean like bubble wands?

i hav 2 of the circular bubble stones in with my oscar, convicts and sevs etc and they dont touch em.

they dont do anything with them tho except for maybe the plecs who seem to like to sit on them.

there not great if you want plants to grow tho (altho they probably wont have a chance) because they take the co2 out the water and put more o2 in.

something like that anyway lol.

Plants are hit or miss. most people will agree that o's will tear up any plants in the tank. My jd doesnt doesnt tear them per say but he uproots them when digging in the sand. Nothing to hurt the plants but a hastle that every other day I have to go back and put the plants roots back in the sand.

The bubbles will release CO2 from the tank like sam said and hurt the growth of even light planting. But it will infuse more O2 for your fish. For planted tanks, you have to find a happy medium

Okay, so I care more about the well being of the fish than I do the plants. So, the powerhead AND bubble setup would be ideal for maximizing fish happiness?

Yes, this will increase the CO2, O2 exchange of the water and keep plenty of O2 for the fish to breath in the water.

You dont really need the bubbles either if you have a powerhead. Just angle the powerhead towards the water surface so it ripples. This does the same as the bubles breaking the surface. But if you like the bubbles, you can do just them if you want too. Or do both together, just saying you don't need both for the same purpose

I've just started my new 130 gallons cichlid tank. I wanted plants this time, but I was warned tha my severums and my pleco would love to destroy them. Still, I was adviced some varieties, that won't be eaten (they taste bad? they're toxic?) and are resilient enough. Beside, I was told, they don't need much care. A CO2 pump will not be mandatory and they don't need that much light. Here they are: Anubias, java moss and fern, vallisneria.

I'm using an O2 pump too, because I was told the added O2 is helpful to the fish. For some time, they were gasping for air at the surface, but the pump fixed that. I did not have any ammoniac/nitrite problem, so maybe it was poor oxygenation. I don't know how this O2 pump will affect the plants... :huh:

I have not transfered my fish into their larger home yet, so I am not sure on how the plants will thrive...

I switched around my air stones on my tank but when i did the next day my fish in my 100 gallon tank were all gasping for o2 (to be smart lol).Just saying they can be very important if you have a lot of fish.Oh, and just to let you know your java moss will most likely be eaten by severums, along with the other plants.Mine ate it :shout:

Most reactions

Back