Vacation: Water Changes

Bandit said:
if your betta is in a tank just now without a filter, it can't be cycled right? because the bacteria grows in the filter media
[snapback]851035[/snapback]​

actually you can have a cycled tank without a filter, since the bacteria will grow on the ornaments, the gravel and even the walls of the tank. The filter only acts to more efficiently run the water through a bacterial culture as well as removing large waste particles from the water.

Though, I may be mistaken. I wonder if someone can confirm or deny this?

Also know I am kinda Hijacking my own thread :p

The bacteria need a good air supply to exist in the numbers that actually make a cycled tank possible, so unless you have some type of filter to run oxygenated water over the bacteria, I don't think it's gonna work that way.

Bettas are the best fish for going through cycling. They can handle some pretty rough conditions, IMO.

But I really hope this friend you have picked out is awesome. Good luck! Maybe you'll get them hooked... hehe.

Would it help to instruct your friend to feed him half what you normally would so he's not producing as much waste?

My betta produces enough waste for me to have to do a 50% water change every 2 days in a 2 gallon tank! And i don't think i feed him too much - 4 betta flakes or 4 bloodworm?

thanks all for the advice. Yes this friend is pretty awesome and a big plus is that he also lives in the same house as me (student housing :) ) . He has looked after my fish before when I was gone for shorter periods of time.

This is my plan.

I have three tanks but only one that isn't filtered.

So, for the tanks that are filtered I am going to do a relatively larger water change than usual on the day before I leave and just instruct/remind him on how to feed the fish. The feedings will be less then they are normally used to.

For the betta bowl that isn't filtered I am going to do the same as above except I am going to get like a few gallon jugs ( the ones you get milk in). I will clean them out exteremely well, put water in them and add dechlor.

Then just intruct my freind on removing 50% the water from the bowl and then just using the pretreated water to fill it back up. If he does bi-weekly 50% changes that should be perfect.

Do you think this will do?

Also I am going to be able to keep track of my fish and how he is treating them via instant messenger as I have done before. Webcams are an awesome tool :)

Most reactions

Back