Uv Sterilisers

dt3000

Reaction score
What's the view on these units for keeping water algae free - is it harmful to the good bacteria in substrate and filters?

I can tell you my experience. I have one of the 9w turbo twist units with a small pump on it and it did a great job of killing off algae in the water when I had my lighting/co2 wrong, and I did not notice any effect on the bio filter. I suspect if you were to run it during the cycling process, it could have an impact, but otherwise it seems fine.

What's the view on these units for keeping water algae free - is it harmful to the good bacteria in substrate and filters?
As a remedial action for algae, or other, problems, it looks to be a fine bit of kit. if used as a prophylactic, things aren't so clear, in a freshwater system. it seems far from sure, the units are a good thing in the long term. that said to cure a problem, or as a once a week, precaution, they seem like a very good buy.

Thanks guys...think I may put one on a timer for an hour/day.

I have a fish r fun 9V internal for my 125Ltr which I bought last week. Is on 24/7 never had clearer water or livelier fish, so although it's only been in there 1 week. I'd say get it in and on. lol

There have been numerous reports on UV of different brands and voltages, external and internal in the forum and these are what prompted me to get one. I've only read good reports on them although some people seem a little cautious.

Thanks SuperColey1, that's the one I've just ordered.

I had the Vectron 8w unit on my marine where it worked very well kept the water crystal clear and didnt seem to effect the bacteria. But I gave it to my dad who has a FW tank and it was very cloudy and the UV made it also crystal clear in 2 days but he has only used it once as its stayed the same since!

Most reactions

Back