Urgent help please suspected neon tetra disease

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ashxmx

Reaction score
Hello I just purchased some guppies from store and a few hitchhiking tetras got in the bag however I am unsure if the tetras have neon tetra disease as they have a bent spine and are really skinny can someone advise if it is in fact this or something else as I am unsure thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200211_164109.jpg
    20200211_164109.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 20200211_164107.jpg
    20200211_164107.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20200211_164103.jpg
    20200211_164103.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 123
It may not be neon tetra disease but I would net them and take them back. It won’t hurt your other fish unless they eat a dead corpse. Just get them out. I’d do a large water change too. :)

It may not be neon tetra disease but I would net them and take them back. It won’t hurt your other fish unless they eat a dead corpse. Just get them out. I’d do a large water change too. :)
Follow @Deanasue 's instructions. It might also be TB?

It's not neon tetra disease.

The fish are really skinny and probably have intestinal worms and gill flukes. Guppies are regularly infected with worms and flukes too.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms. If you can't find these medications, look for Flubendazole.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second, third and forth treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish the next time you treat them. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish.

Thanks for all of the advice I took the bag and moved them into a smaller tank I had set up so can treat them there I will call the shop and advise them tomorrow as I am sure there will be more in the tank with the same issues I didnt take much notice of the tetras as I had no intention of getting any, if they do in fact have tb or gill flukes as suggested does that mean the guppies will certainly have it too as they where in the same tank in store? I wouldnt want to treat them too if unnecessary, also I am under the impression if it is in fact tb it will prove fatal and cannot be treated if this is the case what should I do or can I do to help them in the mean time? Thanks again

it's not fish tuberculosis.

if the tetras were with the guppies, they will all have it.
Thank you very much for clarifying this I am pretty sure they must be in the same tank for them to have got into the bag on saying that they took the bag to another tank to fill it with water I will check this tomorrow with the store that way I can treat them all together thanks again

Thank you very much for clarifying this I am pretty sure they must be in the same tank for them to have got into the bag on saying that they took the bag to another tank to fill it with water I will check this tomorrow with the store that way I can treat them all together thanks again
Doesn't matter if they were in the same tank or not. They were in the same bag.

These are very weak fish m8 and something you didn't want ...... ( I question the fish store tbh ) take them back and hope all is well. A strong fish will get over this issue. If you wanted neons then you would buy them so you chose a good bunch in future. I hope all others are ok, but am not saying the normal .....change 75% water every day as there may not be an issue .
Get back with findings m8. I think you were stung by weak fish !!,

n don't panic, Don't knee jerk into a reaction but take a step back if all is well. Let it develope.

They are goners. Return them and get a refund. THOSE will NEVER become healthy fish again.

I still say take them back. They look terrible and why should you spend the money in trying to get them well. The one looks freakish it is so bad.

I still say take them back. They look terrible and why should you spend the money in trying to get them well. The one looks freakish it is so bad.
It really does I couldn't get a good picture of them they actually look worse close up the smallest is properly bent out of shape I agree with stan510 I fear even to treat them they will never become healthy as they are so poorly right now I have never saw any fish in this condition and retired viking your right its extremley sad to see them this way I have called the store waiting on a manager calling back at the moment thanks again for all the advice

Most reactions

Back