upsidedown catfish

SWEETHEART241182

Reaction score
I AM VERY INTERESTED IN THESE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE KNEW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM; COMPATABILITY, PH, TEMP, ENVIRONMENT AND HEALTH NEEDS. I CURRENTLY HAVE 3 ZEBRA DANIOS, 4 GUPPIES, 4 NEON TETRAS AND TWO ADULT PLATYS--WITH AN ISSUE ON CONSTANT FRY PRODUCTION :look: . I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO TAKE ANOTHER TRY AT A BETA. ANY ADVICE OR INFO WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :D

WELL THAT DOES HELP, IF IT APPLYS TO THE ONES THAT IVE SEEN. THEY ARE SOLID BLACK, AND ARE FAIRLY SMALL IN SIZE. AND THEY INDEED DO SWIM UPSIDEDOWN AND ARE CATFISH/ WELL THEY LOOK LIKE THEM. BUT THE STORE THAT SELLS THEM REALLY HAS NO INFO ON THEM. BEING CATFISH I FIGURED ON THE DIET, BUT WAS STILL NOT SURE ON THE ENIRONMENT. OR THE AGRESSION BECAUSE THEY ARE VERY ACTIVE. ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS VARIATION? SEE THIS IS THE PROB I WAS HAVING IN THE FIRST PLACE I LOOKED THEM UP BUT ONY FOUND WHAT YOU DID. SO I OVERLOOKED THEM, THINKING THEY WERENT THE SAME. THAT ONE LOOKED LIKE MY PLECO SO I GOT ALL CONFUSED. ANY IDEAS?

I have 3 featherfins in an African cichlid tank - they're quite a big fish 6-7 inches at least and mine are like vacuum cleaners. They eat anything and everything. I feel sure that they'd have a go for your smaller fish if they had the chance. I was told that they're peaceful, but have found them to be quite territorial and very capable of looking after themselves. Very cool to see them upside down,skimming the top of the water with their mouths open sucking in anything that floats. Which ones were you thinking of getting?

The Mochokidae, or upsidedown catfish (also known as squeakers) have members of which many do swim a lot of the time upside down. The fish we most likely attribute as being the Upsidedown catfish is Synodontis Nigriventris which only gets to max. 4" in captivity. Unlike many Synos they are schooling fish, preferring their own company. A shoal of 5 or so would be good. They like flake and pellet food as well as good frozen livefood.
Young Nigriventris tend to be a mottled brown/black colour, getting lighter with age. Beware, because there is another catfish called the Asian Upsidedown Catfish Mystus Leucophasis that belongs to a different family and comes from a different continent. These are practically black and can grow large ( up to 12" ) and are predatory, having a differently shaped mouth to a Syno. Mosy synos have smallish mouths in relation to their bodies and some of the barbles (whiskers) are feathered. The Asian USD cat (Bagridae) has a wider mouth and no feathery barbles. They are very aggressive and will eat fish.

Hope this helps :)

Hi, i have got 3 UpsideDown Catfish now 2 big ones and one small one in another tank. They are very friendly and get on with most fish. They are also very hardy fish and dont mind to much about water temp or ph. They do like some caves or someplace so hide, when i first got mine it didn't come out in the day often and if i made any fast movement it would hide. but after a couple of months it was fine and dosn't mind any more. They are very gready eat any food, from pellets, flake and they love Blood Worm and any other frozen foods. i love mine :D

Most reactions

Back