Ups For Tank Equipments

jarmado

Leader of the Pieces
Reaction score
have you used one?
any recommendations/suggestions/comments?
thanks!
:good:

If your referring to UPS computer power bar / battery backup, I have used computer type power bars in the past to protect electronic ballasts from power surges.

I use one on my fluidized bed filter only because I read that they're particularly sensitive to being closed down for any extended period of time. Now I didn't actually go out and buy one just for that purpose but used an extra UPS I had from upgrading my computers in our home office. We don't get a lot of power outages in our area, more like "hiccups" caused by storms, grid switching, etc., so it's not like it's a huge issue. We had a small 3 to 4 minute outage a week ago and I noticed the pump kept on pumping off the UPS without missing a beat so it works. Probably only provides an hour or so of back up power so I'm out of luck if we get hit with a longer outage. Things happen so I'm not going to get wrapped around the axle about it.

I have always used UPS's on my systems just to run the pump for the filteration system. It has saved me on a number of times.

I've never had to use one, but I think I should. Only thing is, I hate to buy on the internet and don't know where to get one in my hometown.

SB

Will the motor from the pump/s cause any problem on the UPS's operation?

Pump motors pull more than a computer but not so much that it's going to do anything but cause the UPS not to hold on as long during a power outage. I've never pressed mine....meaning the power has never been off long enough to find out how long the UPS will continue to run the pump. As for where to buy, try a local computer store.

Pump motors pull more than a computer but not so much that it's going to do anything but cause the UPS not to hold on as long during a power outage. I've never pressed mine....meaning the power has never been off long enough to find out how long the UPS will continue to run the pump. As for where to buy, try a local computer store.

thanks!
:good:

ive had mine over a year now and i think its great. mine keeps my 2x sump pumps pumping for ages(over 2 hrs). just need a small generater for when the ups runs out.

ive had mine over a year now and i think its great. mine keeps my 2x sump pumps pumping for ages(over 2 hrs). just need a small generater for when the ups runs out.
what brand of UPS do you have?

As a technical guy, I can tell you with experience (lots and lots of data center and desktop experience) on what models of UPS' you should consider:

APC - I have one of these running under the desk at an asphalt plant. Dust, steam and oil are all over the place and the batteries haven't died yet.

Tripp-Lite - I've had mixed success with these things, although the batteries tend to die easily.

HP (remanned tripp-lites and apcs ) you never know what you're getting....

Dell - Total chinese crap usually. I'd avoid them like the plague.

As a technical guy, I can tell you with experience (lots and lots of data center and desktop experience) on what models of UPS' you should consider:

APC - I have one of these running under the desk at an asphalt plant. Dust, steam and oil are all over the place and the batteries haven't died yet.

Tripp-Lite - I've had mixed success with these things, although the batteries tend to die easily.

how about belkin or mge?

how about belkin or mge?

I've got a belkin that I use for my entertainment center and it's just "OK". I've had to replace the battery on it, and it's heavier than a longer lasting APC that I use. I've never used MGE's before, but I like to stick with the best of brand on things that you're hoping will save your butt in a pinch...

I also like the APC's because the plugs are on the side, so there is less chance of "gunk" and or water getting into the plugs. Avoiding water is the exact reason that I use Powerquids screwed into the wall behind the open part of my stand. They're freakin' awesome! Plus, I figured, hey, it's a squid and I'm working with aquaria here!

Most reactions

Back