Unwell Apistogramma!

Oh no, I guess we just caught it too late :sad:

Ill PM a mod about pinning something in New World about this

I guess so! Yeah that seems like a good idea :) I lost one of my young discus about 2 weeks ago, my tank is looking awful empty now 0_0

Forgive me as I'm pretty new to fish keeping but are the fish Anbaw123 referring too Tiger Barbs? I'm just thinking if Kissfn's comment, or was that a general comment about his/her own barbs?
I only ask as I just got 8 tigers (4 striped & 4 green), all going great but one of the green barbs after feeding is pointing vertical and shimmering quite violently. I was told by the guy who donated them that he does this after eating but always recovers & read that it is apparently relatively common due to eating to fast from the surface and gulping to much air!!! Can anyone shed any light in this as he been doing it for around 2hrs non-stop & I'm getting worried?!
Cheers

Thanks :( I tried to keep him going but he was really weak so it was kinder to let him go!

Forgive me as I'm pretty new to fish keeping but are the fish Anbaw123 referring too Tiger Barbs? I'm just thinking if Kissfn's comment, or was that a general comment about his/her own barbs?
I only ask as I just got 8 tigers (4 striped & 4 green), all going great but one of the green barbs after feeding is pointing vertical and shimmering quite violently. I was told by the guy who donated them that he does this after eating but always recovers & read that it is apparently relatively common due to eating to fast from the surface and gulping to much air!!! Can anyone shed any light in this as he been doing it for around 2hrs non-stop & I'm getting worried?!
Cheers
Some of my Tigers will "headstand" or point vertically after they have eaten but they never shake violently.

Thanks guys, i shed a tear i'll admit! Get rather attatched to my wee fishey friends!

Concerning the bloodworms; I contacted Ted Judy, one of the best dwarf cichlid breeders in the hobby concerning the use of bloodworms with cac's. This is his reply concerning this issue;

Hey Ted;

I've got a question on the forum I run concerning feeding bloodworms to Apistogramma cacatouides. Apparently some folks are being told that cac's can't digest bloodworms properly, and end up dying. Odd thing is, it's in reference to males only.

I bred cac's long ago, I'm sure I fed them bloodworms among other things, but am wise enough to feed them sparingly, followed by some frozen brine shrimp or a fast the next day. I'm just concerned that it may be a particular product having an issue, similar to the Hartz/Wardley recall from about a month back.

The topic can be found here; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/395734-unwell-apistogramma/

Get back to me when you have a chance, or feel free to post on the topic, looking forward to the next Fall Fish Fest, the last one was a blast!

Thanks!

John

Hi John,

I read through the thread. Not much there to go on. I have never heard that bloodworm is a killer of apistos. I know a lot of people that use it. I do not, but only because I am allergic to bloodworms and it makes me break out in hives. Bloodworm is not a worm. It is a fly larvae. They do have an exoskeleton, but it is soft like a mosquito larvae. Since apistos are all invertebrate eaters, I would think blood worms would be right up their alley. The problem with frozen foods of any kind is that if it ever thaws out and gets refrozen the food can go bad very quickly and cause bacterial disease problems. I suspect that is most likely what happens when bloodworm is blamed for fish death.

I thought it odd that bloodworms would cause issues with these fish. I bred cacatuoides long ago, and am certain that bloodworms were part of their diet. My concern was one of a product recall that had not yet been enacted, or a certain product being suspected in this.

I thought the exact same as bloodworm would be a natural part of their diet ... but unfortunately it doesn't take away from the fact that i fed mine bloodworms, he began to look bloated and fat and then died a few days later :(
Maybe just a coincidence, but a VERY big coincidence!

As stated, I'd look into how the product was kept, or the quantity fed. This is a food that should always be fed sparingly, over the years I've seen numerous problems caused by overfeeding bloodworms. It's great for an occasional treat, or conditioning breeders, when used with caution.

I will do, they were tried bloodworms in a small sachet from my local fish shop, i only fed them a couple of times and not in big quantities at all ... he definitely started looking different after he had eaten them!

Most reactions

Back