Julio Cory dying?

Thanks, will try and post pics in a sec.

It's in qt since this morning (sorry I thought I put that in the previous post) so can I put it back in the tank? Will it have a better chance of survival in there, or could it infect the others?

I've already got salt in the main tank (and I put a tiny bit in the qt this morning)

I'll try and vary the fish's diet... what other meat/food can I add? (I know about blanched veg)

It's still very pale and thin... is there any way I can force feed it? I feel like it would have much more of a fighting chance if it was eating...

1696415220249.png

By the way, it's spine looks quite bent in these photos, it's not like that in real life (it's the shape of the container). Can I put it back in the tank? Am going to try and force feed.
1696415762095.png

Attachments

• 1696415414087.png
    1696415414087.png
    1,015.6 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
It sounds like you have something affecting your wider tank, if it's lying on its side and refusing to eat I would euthanise unfortunately. I'm not sure what you mean by force feeding though?

Do you have pictures of the rest of the fish in the tank? Losing 3 fish in quick succession may mean the others could be affected. In the meantime I'd continue with the salt treatment and aggressive water changes.

Thanks for your reply...

1. It's dead, but I still have no idea what killed it. Actually, all three of the fish that died (except maybe the neon) had no definitive cause of death (the neon had black spots and a swim bladder issue (suspected worm/parasite), the false julii could swim but did a really weird death roll thing, and this pygmy was incredibly pale and skinny. All three refused to eat, but I'm suspecting that was because they were in a tiny glass container by themselves with no heating or filtration).

2. Am planning to do another (smaller, I literally can't do a larger one) wc this morning and continue adding salt. Hope that curbs any other issues that could possibly happen, because if it doesn't and they all continue dying, I honestly think I'll just give up, let them die and keep snails for the rest of my life. I'm not sure I can keep going with fish.

3. Like the other two times, the fish don't really seem affected yet, so it's probably only a matter of time...

4. I researched 'force feeding' beforehand, it basically involves putting a syringe in it's mouth with some liquidized food. It's only used as a last resort, and I was going to try it, but soon realized what worked on a discus or arowana was not going to work for a tiny pygmy cory. Failed experiment, so I didn't even properly try.

5. Will try and upload pics

don't force feed fish

the reason they don't eat when they are sick is because they are sick.

Sorry...

I was only trying to help it survive, and I am 99.99% certain the reason it died was not becuase I tried to force-feed it. I only tried it because I was pretty sure it was going to die anyway and if there was any way I could make it better I would try it, and it was so skinny I thought trying to give it some food might give it more of a chance. I won't do it again.

On another note, none of my other fish seem to be dead/dying yet... so maybe it's over...

Would all of these conditions be linked to bad water? Since I've increased the size of my wc's and am currently adding salt, is there any reason they should keep dying?

They could continue dying if they have a disease that doesn't respond to salt but since a lot of diseases do respond to salt, it might be the last of the deaths. However, skinny fish can be infected with intestinal worms, gill flukes or internal protozoa. These normally need different treatments but we should wait and see how things go over the next 2 weeks.

However, skinny fish can be infected with intestinal worms, gill flukes or internal protozoa. These normally need different treatments but we should wait and see how things go over the next 2 weeks.

If it was these things, which ones are most likely, and how would I treat? (I don't think it's worms because I haven't seen any stringy white poop). If nothing else happens, will it probably mean all this was caused by dirty water? Or could it have been infection from lfs?

Thanks for your reply (and sorry for this late one). Will probably make new thread if something else goes wrong.

Most reactions

Back