Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

That's another phase of the hobby- frags to trade or sell. Those aquariums are not for a community reef tank. Its colorful. But the constant coming and going wheeling and dealing is not for me thats all.
Well… it can be done it’s just incredibly hard and expensive. And it takes a ton of time to maintain.

Oh I know its done. Its basically a branch of aquarium coral keeping on to its own. People into that are fast talkers into RedBull- ha..kidding. But you need to keep up on all things to ensure the very high quality water. Corals wont do a thing as frags if water isnt up to snuff.
Its just far,far more than I want to do or invest.
Me? I think I'm reverting to Innes Golden Book of fishkeeping..the original bible for Aquarists. Let the sun and plants do my thing-ha. I just want to feed the fish and watch.

After posting that, I saw it was time to clean my filter..and that takes about 15 gallons of bucket water and that 15-20 gallons is near black tea in looks. Plus hauling the buckets to poured into a can outside..
Proof that you just have to get down and dirty sometimes even with the best ecosystem aquariums.
But- let me tell you,its now again clean with the algae on glass removed and the water is again crystal clear.:banana::rock:

Ohio fish rescue put two 10" albino Tinfoil Barbs in an aquarium with an at least 24" Albino Redtail cat. He's going to eat those Barbs and soon.

Plus I THINK they are hinting to the guy who has kept a dozen or more Stingrays with them for months to come and get them. They placed them with Pacu and they can eat Stingray barbs..they can eat anything!

Also, OFR is keeping a huge puffer in a 190 gallon. TOO SMALL. That fish needs thousands of gallons. They should never mind "the4 albino" tank and put that puffer in at least the two thousand gallon. I've seen them in huge public aquaria with large African fish..and others of their own kind.
Doing well.

My suggestion.

I love the comments to this post 😂👍
I dislike "ADA everything" aquascaping Instagrammers, - those referring to each other "bro"..

Last edited by a moderator:
If that fish keeping bill stops the importation of monster fish..that might be best. So many of those fish need half a house size aquarium. Even those puffers will reach 3'. I saw a vid on an African otter that couldn't bite through one puffer that had become a basketball. The puffer got away.
I might have posted this before..but worth repeating. Arapaimas?..ridiculous.

I love the comments to this post 😂👍
I dislike "ADA everything" aquascaping Instagrammers, - those referring to each other "bro"..
hah, I agree. although rimless tanks really can't be beat. ada is a superior company (there is no getting around that) but 40 USD for a pair of tweezers is too far.

If you starve your fish so they won't make poop and algae in your planted aquarium? Gett outa here! One of the greatest pleasures in the hobby is having the fish wiggle their little bodys like puppys when they see you with the food containers. I feed 3x a day. Its why I made a bigger filter and bought a bigger pump and let the Syngonium grow with no pruning...so I can feed the fish all I want. They love it. Plus the big pump creates a fish treadmill.
I'm really focused on how many people want to save money on fish food by feeding them "Once a week" or even once a day. Cruel man!
Get a bigger aquarium if the very basic need of food is going to be denied to those poor fish.

Here's another I hate youtube vids that scream in the titles " EPIC! or INSANE!..lesser would be "RARE" "INCREDIBLE" "THE TRUTH!"
The epics never are. Insane isnt even unwell let alone stark raving mad.

Here's a serious one: The Georgia Aquarium should be shamed by the number of vids of Sharks eating tankmates. I myself noticed that many,many fish are underfed. I saw Carp that had the outline of eels. So starved.
The number of public aquarium with multi million dollar aquariums all over- and they save money on feeding the fish?
I single them out because who puts fish in an aquarium with Garials I think they were- and the fish were mutilated with missing fins and chunks of body. The keeper/manager of that tank should be fired.

Here's a serious one: The Georgia Aquarium should be shamed by the number of vids of Sharks eating tankmates. I myself noticed that many,many fish are underfed. I saw Carp that had the outline of eels. So starved.
The number of public aquarium with multi million dollar aquariums all over- and they save money on feeding the fish?
I single them out because who puts fish in an aquarium with Garials I think they were- and the fish were mutilated with missing fins and chunks of body. The keeper/manager of that tank should be fired.
So… you’re blaming the aquarium owners for not being able to control a wild animals natural instincts? I don’t think you realize how hard it is to make sure every single fish gets food, in a 6.3 million gallon tank.

Here's a serious one: The Georgia Aquarium should be shamed by the number of vids of Sharks eating tankmates.
I personally have mixed feelings about this one. I get that many people are offended by seeing a fish ripped apart, and I know live feeding is problematic in several ways. At the same time (as I believe I mentioned before in this thread), I consider it rather cruel not to give live food to piscivorous fish. Hunters gotta hunt. Not just fish, either. It makes me sad when I go to a zoo and see the tigers and lions being fed dead meat. It isn't because I find great pleasure in seeing a goat ripped apart, but, as the movie said, “T-Rex doesn't want to be fed. He wants to hunt. Can't just suppress 65 million years of gut instinct.” (Dr. Alan Grant, Jurassic Park)

A hunter that isn't hunting is only half living, and certainly not demonstrating its natural behavior. Most people root for the antelope in the nature films. I love seeing a prey animal pull off a good escape, but I equally love seeing a hunter use its skills to put food on the proverbial table. It's a shame to treat them as if that part of their behavior doesn't exist.

Yes. Its common fish sense about who should never be kept with who. Those Tinfoil Barbs and other fish...trapped in a tank with Gharials? In one vid- the longest one on youtube..African Cichlids were near hollow belly.
All that expense in huge aquariums..and then save money by not feeding the fish? Terrible.

Most reactions

Back