Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

Oh god, I wish I'd heeded people's advice never to let duckweed near my tank. I've tried so many times to eradicate it without success. I'm tearing down the tanks this week, and I know no matter how hard I try, I still won't be able to stop it coming back. I hate it with my entire being.

Is it really that bad? I've purposefully put some in mine but still small enough amount that I can remove if it is :crazy: :dunno:
You'll never be able to get rid of it. Any time you do a big tank maintenance, or move the filter output above it, some gets blown down into the tank and gets caught on plants and things. It'll spread all over the surface and get incredibly annoying whenever you want to feed your fish. You have shrimp, so you'll never be able to just skim the surface with a net to remove it, you'll have to check it carefully to make sure no shrimp are attached when you want to pull it out by the handful. Every time you put your arm in to trim plants, your arm is covered in duckweed.

And worse, when you do get tired of it and decide you want it gone, and will still stick with frogbit or something, no matter how carefully you think you've removed every trace of it - it will return. A dried out tiny piece will be stuck to your filter, a tank corner, just under the rim, a net or something - and that's all it needs to come back and take over again. It will be there forever, and I think it's already too late for you.

Most reactions

Back