Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

How about a wild phenotype female??

My old girl, I miss this fish so bad. She was a treasure.
received_2494067884178669.jpeg.jpg

Shouldn’t you have some sort of air pump, just to get the water moving?

I know bettas don’t need an airstone to survive, as they take oxygen from the surface, I’m just asking.
The guy I knew had no filter on his dirted tanks as well as no circulation.

How about a wild phenotype female??

My old girl, I miss this fish so bad. She was a treasure.
View attachment 111858
She's lovely NC - I've been looking at pictures of the wild type and they are stunning. When I read how they were transported in about half an inch of water, packed together in boxes for days on end, and then marketed as "easy" fish suitable to be kept in tiny containers though, it knocked me sick!

It's indescribably cruel - It's NOT JUST A FISH!

It's an intelligent, living, breathing, sentient creature with a right to a natural life.

Does anyone in the UK breed the wild type in captivity? Think I'd like one, but I don't want to buy into the cruelty of the wild-caught trade.

What do people think about the alien bettas? They're the bettas that really caught my eye and made me want one, but I haven't looked into any downsides to them either since I'm not in a rush to set up a betta tank. I just think they're beautiful, and look as though they can swim better than a lot of the more long finned varieties
alienbetta.jpg

What do people think about the alien bettas? They're the bettas that really caught my eye and made me want one, but I haven't looked into any downsides to them either since I'm not in a rush to set up a betta tank. I just think they're beautiful, and look as though they can swim better than a lot of the more long finned varieties
View attachment 111863
I'm honestly not a huge fan of them as well as domesticated Bettas. Wilds are the way to go for me.

I'm honestly not a huge fan of them as well as domesticated Bettas. Wilds are the way to go for me.
But why though?:p
Not why you like wild types of course, lol, and it's great to see people who are going back to the natural fishes! Just curious if you mean you just prefer wilds, or you think there's something physically or ethically wrong with aliens?

Aliens are just a hybrid of different species from the splendens complex. I enjoyed wild Bettas as opposed to domestics on just how interesting they are. They are completely different than domestics in terms of appearance and behavior. Not only that, but many Betta species are classified as endangered, hence why I want to work with them as opposed to domestics and Aliens.

Domesticated Bettas never really interest me and seeing that Aliens are a man-made fish, I probably won't find it as appealing as the wild species.

Aliens are just a hybrid of different species from the splendens complex. I enjoyed wild Bettas as opposed to domestics on just how interesting they are. They are completely different than domestics in terms of appearance and behavior. Not only that, but many Betta species are classified as endangered, hence why I want to work with them as opposed to domestics and Aliens.

Domesticated Bettas never really interest me and seeing that Aliens are a man-made fish, I probably won't find it as appealing as the wild species.
Hey crispii, did your lfs ever source the bettas you wanted?

View attachment 111863
How can there be a down side to that betta?

I have a betta with similar fin shape (my profile picture) and he does swim a lot faster. Not sure any better/faster than the long finned variety... :dunno:

Most reactions

Back