Unknown Fish

KatienDavid

Reaction score
While getting in a shipment of fish we stumbled across a fish that wasn't supposed to be in with ours and we are unsure of what it is and would like to know if anyone can help us identify the fish we have posted some pictures

PICT0056.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0067.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

PICT0053.jpg

Sorry some of the pictures are a little hard to make out the fish but we tried our best to get a good picture.

Thanks,
Katie and David

It's a bit blurry, but I think it's a Characidium, such as Characidium fasciatum, known in the trade as the "darter tetra". Not difficult to keep provided they're given lots of oxygen, and moderate temperature (18-24 C). Often sold as algae-eaters, but wild fish mostly eat insects and crustaceans. Not really suitable for the average community tank, but great in a subtropical to low-end tropical fastwater tank with danios etc.

Cheers, Neale

i was thinking darter or sticleback myself (depending on water fresh or brackish)...have caught loads of these guys in sample-nets while doing research in various waters in NY.

Neale idea of Characidium fasciatum is what i would say but looking at the pic i'm wandering if they have a double dorsal sugesting either a goby or a dater may be

So dose it have a double dorsal?

Untitled-1.jpg

yes it looks a lot like a darter but it does in fact have two dorsal fins also it sits on its bottom fins and is able to turn its head has if it has a neck from side to side the after looking at both pics from darters to goby's it share's characteristics of both so we tried to google a darter goby and found almost exactly what are fish looks like minus the fact that the goby has a much chubbier face but our fish more resembles that of a darter with the abilities of a goby

It almost doesn't matter what the thing is; it's shape tells you it's a fast water fish, and most fast water fish need cool, oxygen rich conditions. Assuming it was sold as a "tropical" fish, it doesn't matter much whether it is Stiphodon (a goby) or Characidium (a tetra) -- all these fish need much the same thing. Relatively low water temperature, fast flowing water, lots of oxygen, and a diet much like that for a loach: insect larvae, small crustaceans and algae.

If it has two, separate dorsal fins, then it's an "advanced" fish such as perciform or a goby. Characins (tetras) may have two fins on the back, but one is a regular dorsal and the other a tiny, spineless structure called an adipose fish. Gobies will have fused pelvic fins that form a sucker-like structure. Sleeper gobies (Eleotridae) look like gobies but have regular pelvic fins. Mystery sleepers and gobies turn up all the time in pet shops, often under fanciful names such as "freshwater neon goby" and the like.

True darters (genera Percina, Etheostoma, etc.) are not common at all in the global ornamental fish trade, and even in their native North America they are kept mostly by people who catch their own fish. You're unlikely to see them in pet stores in Canada or the US, but I suppose anything is possible! Various species, some temperate zone, others more warm temperate, borderline subtropical, so it's a good idea to try and identify this fish if a true darter it turns out to be.

Cheers, Neale

I'm putting my money on Etheostoma fusiforme, which for whatever reason, has a tendency to pop up in shipments of other fish.

Thank you everyone for the information and we have looked over every fish you have all mentioned and it looks most like the Etheostoma fusiforme or swamp darter. We both work at a lfs. I was going over the shipment and it was in a bag of ghost shrimp we had just got in. We do not sell anything like that at the store so it was ours to keep. The only difference between the swamp darter and our fish is that the pictures we looked up of them they look a little plumper then our fish and their colors are more brilliant. Maybe ours is just a baby or maybe it isn't that at all. But thanks again. We have learned a lot from this forum and give out information from here to customers. We personally think it is best to inform people with good information rather then some of the things we are supposed to tell the customers at work. Which the store we work for is actually one that doesn't just sell every type of fish with anything else for a 10 gallon. Their are rules that do fit things that are said on here to do. So I am happy with my job. Plus the best part is we get to keep the mystery fish. We have a 40 gallon hex, a 55 breeder and a 120 still fishless cycling.

-Katie and David

It almost doesn't matter what the thing is; it's shape tells you it's a fast water fish, and most fast water fish need cool, oxygen rich conditions.

Neale what's the problem?

If you look at the title of the topic KatienDavid are wanting an ID not general conditions.
You gave a good suggestion, and just asked if it's had a double dorsal as Characidium has only a single dorsal fin.
Still it's good of you to inform them that it's a fast water fish and need to be kept in cool, oxygen rich water.

Anyway KatienDavid good to see that u think u got it, but i'm thinking the same Etheostoma fusiforme are built a little heavier. Still will go and have a look through my books to see what i can find.

No problem. Just making the point that whatever this fish turns out to be, its body shape tells you what it needs. That's a useful lesson. In this case, the fish seems to be some type of Etheostoma, which does indeed need oxygen-rich, not too warm water conditions.

In many cases you can tell what a fish needs by looking at it. Since it can take a while to positively ID a mystery fish, getting into the habit of estimating the requirements of mystery fish based on its appearance is a useful skill for any oddball fishkeeper.

Cheers, Neale

Neale what's the problem?

Thats ok.

Still i'm thinking it's not an Etheostoma as the dorsals are to close together got the genus, so I'm still going through the darters and the first dorsal looks to soft.

LOL i like to keep busy!!!

Thanks for the help again everyone. I appreciate knowing what it needs to survive. Now I need to figure out where to put it and what it can be kept with :blink: . The pearl darter does look close. We need to get the better camera out and take some clearer pictures. I think I will try to do this tomorrow. If you find out anything else let us know. It is highly appreciated.

Thanks again!,
Katie and David

Most reactions

Back