unheated greenhouse fish ideas

Well, a nice big trough or big heavy duty tub, weather loaches could be in your future! If so, I will live vicariously through your tank. I believe Tractor Supply has a website if you want to see just what's available without a trip.

If you change your mind on larger fish, you might look at your local mosquito control board for free mosquito fish. Mozzie larva were a pita in my outdoor lily tub. I used "mosquito bits" to keep them from molting, just a few in a tub every 3 months? Something like that...

okay, yeah, I will just leave the ponds uncovered in order to have more humidity. I mostly built the greenhouse for my Nepenthes, who is suffering because it's way too dry here, and has outgrown all of the strange humidity contraptions that I have made for it.
You can get large plastic storage containers that go under beds, they are about 6 inches high x 2-3 feet long x 2 feet wide. You put a few inches of water in them and have the plants in pots sitting on bricks or something that keeps them out of the water (or partially in it depending on the species). The area under and around the plants will have a higher humidity due to the water and it might help them.

Make sure the greenhouse is covered with shade cloth during summer or the inside temperature can get to 60C+ and that will kill everything in it. Use a white shade cloth with a 60-80% shade factor.

Well, a nice big trough or big heavy duty tub, weather loaches could be in your future! If so, I will live vicariously through your tank. I believe Tractor Supply has a website if you want to see just what's available without a trip.

If you change your mind on larger fish, you might look at your local mosquito control board for free mosquito fish. Mozzie larva were a pita in my outdoor lily tub. I used "mosquito bits" to keep them from molting, just a few in a tub every 3 months? Something like that...
Yes! Those horse troughs look too silver for me but I really like the shape of them. Maybe there is a stock tank that is black and not silver.
I'll also check home depot and lowes, since those are significantly closer.

I have kept those before and the district is wonderful! My current outdoor seasonal ponds get too hot in summer and too cold in winter so I just ask for guppies/mosquitofish and then move them in when it is winter. Guppies seem to like the heat better.
You can get large plastic storage containers that go under beds, they are about 6 inches high x 2-3 feet long x 2 feet wide. You put a few inches of water in them and have the plants in pots sitting on bricks or something that keeps them out of the water (or partially in it depending on the species). The area under and around the plants will have a higher humidity due to the water and it might help them.

Make sure the greenhouse is covered with shade cloth during summer or the inside temperature can get to 60C+ and that will kill everything in it. Use a white shade cloth with a 60-80% shade factor.
hmm, that sounds like a good idea! Will this system attract mosquitoes though? If so, is there enough water volume for some livebearers?
The greenhouse is in a shaded location currently for the day (light in the morning) and if the heat is a problem I'll definitely put shade cloth on it, I already have a lot for insulation on my veggies during winter

Any stagnant water will encourage mozzies to lay their eggs there so you have to lift the plant/s out and change the water regularly or scoop the mozzie larvae out with a fine mesh fish net. Mozzie larvae make great fish food :)

There's probably not enough room for fish in the under bed storage containers but you could use a normal storage container and it would be higher and container more water for the fish. You would then have to build a stand or fabricate something to hold the pitcher plant above the water. A plastic pot that is turned upside down and has a hole about (2 inches diameter) cut in the side for fish to go in and out and not get stuck in it, can make a cheap stand for the plant in a larger storage container and not displace much water.

You could make a frame that goes over the container and hang the plant above the water.

You could get a piece of polystyrene foam and cut a hole in it to fit the very bottom of the plant's pot. the pot would sit in the foam and it would float around the pond.

Most reactions

Back