Undergravel filter users

Lorelei

Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and would like your input on today's powerheads. Which do you all think is the best on the market these days?

Just playing devils advocate here... :devil:

...but have you considered other types of filtration? - external canister or internal? - They're much easier to maintain and do a better job imho..

...as far as best powerheads go - sorry cann't help :/

www :)

I haven't set up a new tank with powerheads for years, but the last I used were Eheim 1008's and worked fine for many years.

wetwetwet said:

...but have you considered other types of filtration? - external canister or internal? - They're much easier to maintain and do a better job imho..

Ok, here's the thing- I know a lot of you highly regard those over-the-wall things so I won't malign them unduly but- I kept many tanks for many many years with underground filters with *excellent* success. I could never say that for the over the wall filter tanks I kept.

Example: I had a 100 gallon with two 400 GPH powerheads attached to two undergravel filter plates. After about 28 months, I decided to move that tank from one wall to an opposing one. I had never taken it apart, the water had always looked fine (never tested in those days) with my monthly 10% water change and a monthly run of my diatematious (sp) portable filter. Well, when I took that puppy apart, under the filter plates it was absolutely *pristine*. Not a single speck of junk to be seen. I'm a firm believer in undergravel filters. Over-the-walls don't inspire my confidence much at all. All this business of having to 1) BUY supplies for them, 2) change them out and destroy the bacteria puts me off. With an undergravel, you buy it once, not monthly, and it (for me) works perfectly.

IMO once one type is made they are nearly all the same. But thats how I am on everything. Powerheads are good for aggitating the water but like what was said I would consider another type for filtration. But what I like about UGF is it seems to keep the water a little biut clearer if used in combination with another filter.

Lorelei said:
Well, when I took that puppy apart, under the filter plates it was absolutely *pristine*. Not a single speck of junk to be seen.
i find that very hard to believe.
where did it all go then??

I also had had 2 power heads one 1200/L per hour and the other at 800/L per hour on each side

I removed mine on monday and man and what a mess it made!!!
It was Disgusting!!!!!

After taking it out i wouldnt recommend them to any one!!
Im going to take the UGF out of ym smaller tank this weekend, All that gunk couldnt be good for the fish.

If you have your ratios right ie: the right size gravel, the right amount of flow, the right amount of food fed, the right amount of fish in the tank- your undergravel filter WILL work properly. I'm a witness to that. And I fed beefheart to those Oscars, along with many other "messy" foods. When they're operating properly, the bacteria will grow all along the surface of the plates under the gravel and get rid of the mess. Honestly, that's what I used for years and years. I would put my Diatom filter on the tank once every month or so, take out 10% of the water per month and that tank stayed beautiful. I just picked up a 70 gallon I bought on ebay and I intend to set it up the same way.

while i will agree UGF are decent filters, but, I have never seen one pristine underneath after much use...., I have seen plenty. Nor would i expect to see one pristine. as for destroying your biological filter (on hang on the tank)that can be avoided many ways and also you dont have to buy cartridges for them ....I probably change one filter every 9 months. I use the bio wheel filter , it will always have biology on it no matter if I change the filter 14 times a day. What i do is get the pad out put it in a sink full of water that has been treated with stress coat, rinse the pad and put it back in....there ya go....
I also did this for a while when i had a UGF I used the hang on tank filter put it in the suction tube in the UGF lift tube and it worked pretty good....might be a alternative.

Lorelei said:
wetwetwet said:

Ok, here's the thing- I know a lot of you highly regard those over-the-wall things so I won't malign them unduly but- I kept many tanks for many many years with underground filters with *excellent* success. I could never say that for the over the wall filter tanks I kept.

Example: I had a 100 gallon with two 400 GPH powerheads attached to two undergravel filter plates. After about 28 months, I decided to move that tank from one wall to an opposing one. I had never taken it apart, the water had always looked fine (never tested in those days) with my monthly 10% water change and a monthly run of my diatematious (sp) portable filter. Well, when I took that puppy apart, under the filter plates it was absolutely *pristine*. Not a single speck of junk to be seen. I'm a firm believer in undergravel filters. Over-the-walls don't inspire my confidence much at all. All this business of having to 1) BUY supplies for them, 2) change them out and destroy the bacteria puts me off. With an undergravel, you buy it once, not monthly, and it (for me) works perfectly.
I'm glad you have such success with them - I assumed (wrongly :*) ) that you may be new to the hobby and was suggesting something that may be a little easier to set up and maintain...

What are you going to set it up for?

Most reactions

Back