Under Feed

jmain

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm still feeding my fish every other day since I'm waiting on the Nitrites to go down and all that good stuff but today I noticed my fish were attacking the algae wafer that I threw in there for the pleco could this be I'm under feeding them? When they did that I cut a brime shrimp cube into half and then gave them a bigger half of that half and they attacked it and it was gone within 5 minutes.

Id say that you are doing fine. Fish tend to live on the brink of starvation, so feeding every other day is alright.

Id say that you are doing fine. Fish tend to live on the brink of starvation, so feeding every other day is alright.

I mean I was told I could go to feeding every 3rd day and stuff like that but my fish eating the algae wafer made me wonder what was up

Nothing to worry about; most fish can be left when you go on holiday for up to two weeks.

I mean I was told I could go to feeding every 3rd day and stuff like that but my fish eating the algae wafer made me wonder what was up

well they will get hungry and will attack the algae wafer, (mine also do this even when they are well feed).

well they will get hungry and will attack the algae wafer, (mine also do this even when they are well feed).

I just didn't think they would eat them (because of what they are made from or what ever) I also did notice that some of my black skirts weren't eating as much as other but as soon as I dropped that little piece of brime shrimp cube they all were destroying it should I give them that as a treat every once in a while besides always feeding flake food?

I just didn't think they would eat them (because of what they are made from or what ever) I also did notice that some of my black skirts weren't eating as much as other but as soon as I dropped that little piece of brime shrimp cube they all were destroying it should I give them that as a treat every once in a while besides always feeding flake food?

brine shrimp should be a treat, not a staple. once or twice a week. I feed mine either brineshrimp or blood worms as a treat. I also feed peas once a week.

Just because the fish are eating the algae wafer (mine do the same by the way) doesn't mean they are hungry.

Fish are greedy little things and will eat beyond their means. Thats just one of the reasons that you have to careful of overfeeding as there isnt really a cutoff point where they say enough is enough, they tend to just keep on eating.

Andy

Do you feed them live shrimp or the cubes?

What do you feed the peas for?

peas are good for keeping fish from getting constipated or solving that if its happened from too many bloodworms or such

peas are good for keeping fish from getting constipated or solving that if its happened from too many bloodworms or such

Can they get that from brime shrimp? maybe I need to feed mine peas

I don't know. I think of brine shrimp like candy and don't think of doing it too often

Aight then I wont worry about it to much I'll just give them a small piece of a cube once or twice a week and see how they do. I'm hoping my darn nitrite will go down here shortly so I can get 3 dalmation mollies to start my school of them

what kind of peas do you feed them and how do you feed the peas to them just drop them in?

Frozen peas work fine. Run them in a tea strainer under a hot tap to defrost, then use a sharp knife to decapsulate them (bin the shell). Chop the inner part up enough so the fish don't choke.

Most reactions

Back