um....buying another fish was not good

myfisheatyours

Reaction score
So i bought a Cichlid for my tank and put a gold fish in there, then for some reason it bullies the cichlid and not the goldfish, next day my cichlid's half dead, i decide to leave it in another tank to see if it'll do alright, today it was gonna die so my bro convinced me to flush it. But i look at my tank now and my tigerfish will once in a while go after my Goldfish but that's it, any reasons why it targeted the Cichlid? So if i do get another fish for my tank should i just get another chinese tigerfish?

you do realise that cichlids are tropical goldfish are not whats your tank size what kind of cichlid was it and how many fish do you have in there

Woah...don't add any more fish, please. What do you mean by "chinese tigerfish"?
As it has already been mentioned, goldfish can not be mixed with most other tropical fish (IMO, danois, WCMM, and weatherloachs are a few exceptions).
So your saying that the tigerfish attacked and almost killed your cichlid, and its now attacking your goldfish? If I'm right, then seperate the goldfish and the tigerfish for now.

Edit: is this the "tigerfish" you are talking about?
tiger_barb_1.jpg

where you using the goldfish as a target fish, something to take the beating hoping the new cichlid wouldnt be noticed and would get a chance to find its own territory?

.... you got a fish without researching what it needed to survive, mixed it with incompatible species, then flushed it instead of moving it to another tank or humanely euthanizing it?

How about you don't get any more fish in general....

The goldfish needs to be separated, or the "tiger fish" does. Whatever this agressive species is, it can really hurt something like a goldie, esp. if it is a fancy and thus slow moving and unable to fight back effectively.

RandomWiktor said:
.... you got a fish without researching what it needed to survive, mixed it with incompatible species, then flushed it instead of moving it to another tank or humanely euthanizing it?

How about you don't get any more fish in general....

[snapback]918903[/snapback]​

I agree. "myfisheatyours", I suggest you wait until you grow up a little, and if you're already grown up, I suggest you wait until you mature enough to realise that keeping fish is a responsibility, and if you can't fulfill that requirement then you shouldn't be participating.

My fish is getting along with the goldfish but wasn't getting along with the cichlid, i ask the guy there he seemed like he knew something, told me it'd be alright so i bought it. And please no more of these annoying grow up, fish is a responsibility, i know that crap ok so lay off

Were just trying to help.
We need to know some things about your tank,
the size?
Water Parrams.(PH,KH, etc etc)
what fish?
how long has it been set up for?
Where do you buy your fish.
Sometimes the person there tells you everything will be okay because they want to make a sale.

Help us help you.

DD

myfisheatyours said:
i ask the guy there he seemed like he knew something, told me it'd be alright so i bought it.
[snapback]918958[/snapback]​
That's the problem. A lot of times they pretend they know what they're talking about even if they don't just to make a sale. Never trust the advice of someone who is trying to sell something to you.

Is this the fish you have?? For your and its sake, I hope not.

Will eat goldfish or any thing it can get in its mouth. Normally feeds on crustaceans, worms, insects, and other fish.

Min. Tank Size: 55 gallons
Temperature: 70-85 °F
pH: slightly acidic
Max Size: 10+ inches

The tank is 10 gallons (according to the user's profile), so it was not only insufficient for single goldfish or oscar, but it is extremely insufficient for this species, as they can reach some 18 inches in length. Fortunately, they are also slow-growing, which should give the poster time to aquire new tanks for it and the goldfish, or return one/both.

This tigerfish has been up for discussion in previous posts; it was then pointed out to you that you must find out what it is, and that all tigerfish known to the forum are completely unsuited to live in a 10 gallon tank.

You never came back with any information about the species and clearly did not take our other comments on board; I do not understand why you expect us to change our minds on this subject a few weeks later.

It is your responsibility to find out what fish you have and what their specific needs are, and to provide those needs (or if you cannot, then to decide not to keep those fish). If fish have to be put down, it is your responsibility to do it in as humane a manner as you can, which is not going to be being flushed down together with a lot of toxic substances into the sewage system. Clove oil is probably the kindest method.

On this forum we do our best to provide helpful advice, but we have our limitations: we cannot stretch your tank for you by magic!

now now.. lets not get carried away with "telling off", this guy is new to the fish keeping thing, and has clearly been given some very bad advise (weren't we all when we started out). all we can do is provide help and advise.. being electronically "yelled" at does nobody any good!!

Most reactions

Back