Uaru Cichlid

star4

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have found this rather interesting looking cichlid on the net, suitable to be kept with my current cichlids (so what I have found says). Has anyone here kept them? what are they like, are they relatively calm and suitable to keep with Serverum, firemouth, blue acara?

Thanks

Uaru are very similar to severums in both size and temperament (arguably even more peaceful)
They are also a species that likes to swim with their own kind, especially when young

The one thing I would say is the Firemouth prefers hard water, whereas the other fishes prefer soft water.

I have kept Uaru, and they are very sensitive to nitrate, so you have to be on top of your water changes. They are beautiful peaceful Cichlids and must not be kept alone. I have never found them easy to get hold of (possibly a good thing for them) but they do make very interesting subjects. I believe that you could keep them in with your other fish, as a Firemouth is mostly all bluff (but does require slightly harder water) and they should be fine with Severum. I have never kept Acara, so I cannot comment about these. Mine max'd out at about 8" and were a pleasure to have. If you get some, please keep us updated, as I would love to see their pics on this forum.

Thank you so much for your replies, very interesting. I am only in the beginings of keeping cichlids (I have only had the Acara a week!), so I fear I am going to make some mistakes. It looks like the Uaru could be a good choice for me then. I admit I never knew the firemouth preferred harder water, I may move him to another tank, but he seems to be doing well in the tank he is in. I will keep a close eye on him.

If I do get some I will certainly post pictures, but I am still in the thinking stage.

Thanks for your help

How large is your tank by the way? And what sort of filtration are you using, if you dont mind me asking :D

I dont mind you asking at all lol.

At the moment they are in a Rio 300 (the serverum, firemouth and blue acara) but will be moving them to a Rio 400 (once the decorating is finished), going to use the standard internal filter and an external filter (Aqua pro 4), but I may take out the internal and run 2 externals. I did say I was still in the thinking stage lol. Then I will be keeping the 300 running in case of any agression trouble so I can split them up, just in case I end up with some breeding or something!!

Breeding would be my worry, even peaceful cichlids are very protective parents. If I remember correctly there was an article a few months back in PFK about Uaru.

Breeding is my worry too lol especially if I do go for a cichlid that likes to be kept in a group like the Uaru. I will have a look online at PFK see if the article is on there. Thanks Matt

oooh thanks Davo, if I do decide to go ahead with them I will check you have them in stock.
Thanks

I had an Uaru before and it was a great fish, even if it did consume every plant in my tank! I had to down size tanks for a few years but I've just set up a 60x24x18 (think it's about 80imp gallons) and spotted a group of juvenile Uarus today in a local shop so I'm thinking of giving them another bash, minus the plants! Tankmates are what is puzzling me... I'm not sure whether to keep them with some angels, a couple of severums or I've even seen elsewhere that some people are saying they can even be housed with Discus? Anybody with any experience in keeping them with any of these other fish?

All my LFS's do them, they usually go for about £4...Maidenhead always has loads (the normal chocolate looking type that are spotty when younger)

The are pretty much liek a Severum but even bigger and more peaceful...alot of people keep them with Discus and Cardinals!

Most reactions

Back