Two dead Bettas...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@Essjay - I’ve got ZERO Nitrites ??

I know it doesn’t count as it took 29 hours to get there (maybe less but that’s when I did another test). But I now know the tank can do it!! I’ll add ammonia to 1ppm tomorrow and wait another 24 hours ????
Based on my observations- it looks like your tank had extra ammonia and proteins floating around, that is what creates cloudy white water!

Everyone here seemed to help you out- but that is my observation. Even doing your water changes- it was most likely a cycling problem and your bettas might have suffocated (your description of their gills).

I am so glad things are looking up!

@carligraceee - Yes, everyone has been fantastic with their support and advice and @Essjay - bless her - she’s explained the same thing several ways until I’ve got it!

I’m not sure that I’ve ever had cloudy white water, but I’m certain the tank hadn’t cycled to the correct level/by the correct method...this has taken 4-5 weeks longer than the lfs said my water/tank was ready... I don’t really want to think that I have caused them to suffocate...what a horrible was to die ??

Cloudy water doesn't usually affect fish; it just makes it difficult for us to see the fish. Bettas (and gouramis) have another advantage if water is ever low in oxygen - they have a labyrinth organ in their heads which they fill with air. That why you see them gulping air at the surface.

Ok, here goes...
On 17th @April @10:00 I had readings of 0 Ammonia and 0 Nitrites.
I added ammonia and ended up with 2ppm (see thread yet to be written posted about tank size and water volume).
Ever keen to “see” the process I was testing regularly, and at 16:00 had 1 ppm Ammonia and 0.5 Nitrites (that fitted with my understanding of the nitrogen cycle).
At 08:00 today (18th) I had 0 Ammonia and 0.25 ppm Nitrite; this result stayed the same for the 10:00 reading which was the 24hr limit.
IF I had only added 1ppm Ammonia, would I be able to assume (would it be safe to assume) that the Nitrites would have zeroed in the 24 hours?

In theory, yes. If in doubt, repeat using 1 ppm and see what happens.

How soon would you want to go fish shopping?

@Essjay - yesterday..??
Seriously though, I’m very conflicted about what to do next, tank size v actual water capacity, parameters for the fish I want...
I‘m going to go to the lfs (MA) and have a look at real fish as opposed to pictures online.
I think this thread is probably at the end of its purpose and I’ll start a new one with a more positive theme ?.
Thank you so much for you help and advice - I hope you find my new thread and continue with your support ??

@--Mike-- I’m not about “city” water, I think it might be different in NY?
Portsmouth Water supply my water, their website says my water is ‘moderately hard’View attachment 134117

I use NT Labs “Tap Water Safe” which I believe removes chlorine etc.

@Essjay, just taken the readings at 24hrs, still no nitrates (probably the plant) and the ammonia is at 0.25 ppm ?View attachment 134118

Although I’m now running out of order, the fish less cycling says to add another full dose of ammonia and wait another 24hrs... is this correct?
Sorry for the later reply, I was concerned about to possibility of Chlorine in the water.

I've kept bettas in hard water, didn't have issues but that could also be tied to where they were raised

Sorry for the later reply, I was concerned about to possibility of Chlorine in the water.

I've kept bettas in hard water, didn't have issues but that could also be tied to where they were raised
No worries ? I’m using a 50/50 mix of tap and RO water which is helping and I have fully cycled the tank. I got my new Betta yesterday, Blue, and he’s spent all afternoon making a bubble nest. ?

Most reactions

Back