Transplant To Driftwood. How Did I Do?

chelsiethegreat

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i've just transplanted my aquarium plant to one of my dirftwood pieces. 

i've been wanting to do this for a while seeing as how the research i've done seems to say it would be beneficial for the plant.

experienced transplanters; please give me some feedback as its my first try.

fingers crossed!! :)  IMG_2921.JPG

That plant looks like a cryptocoryne.  Although they can be grown on driftwood it's not usual to do so as cryptocorynes are heavy root feeders and like to send their roots into substrate.

If it were me, I would trim the roots down to 1-2 inches and then plant it back in the substrate.

If you want a plant attached to driftwood then anubias or java ferns are better choices.

ughh.. really? its roots always come up out of the substrate .. it seemed like it wanted to be on something??

i've had it buried in sand for quite some time now.. it never looked bad..but just did't seem to flourish as much as it should.

i should bury it back? or have i already killed him?

:(

Bury it back.  The sand doesn't have much (if anything, depending on the sand) in the way of nutrients to 'feed' the roots.  Root tabs can help.

Crypts don't like to be moved so it may melt a little but it shouldn't die.

On another note, if you choose to get an anubias /  java fern to attach to your driftwood then trim the roots right back before you tie the plant to the driftwood.  Literally cut them all off.  The old roots won't attach to the wood but new roots will grow quickly and they will find nooks and crannies to hold on to.

thanks daizeUK..

sounds like some genuine advice. 

sounds like i mad a mistake. :/ 

It's alright, we've all made a ton. Crypts are pretty hardy, that's why I like em ;)  He'll bounce back!

I put him back in the substrate this last Wednesday. I trimmed the roots back to a little over an inch.. we'll see what happens :-D

Most reactions

Back