Top Dweller?

korok

Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon tank. I currently have 5 zebra danios and a ruby tailed shark in there. They all seem very happy. The danios seem to shoot all over the tank, but mainly in the middle. Whereas the shark prefers the bottom and ocassionally the middle. So to complete my stock I would like 1-2 fish that prefer the top of the tank.

I know some people don't agree with it, but as I'm new to the hobby I'm trying to stick to the 1" per gallon rule, so I guess I'm looking at another 4-5" of fish(es).

I'd quite like something quite colourful. I'm guessing bettas are out as I have quite a fast current in the tank. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

marbled hatchet fish are top dwellers i believe. They grow to about 2 inches i think but like to be kept in groups.

marbled hatchet fish are top dwellers i believe. They grow to about 2 inches i think but like to be kept in groups.

Thanks. They look great seems they like to be in schools so probably not enough room in my tank.

I've got 5 marble hatche fish which rarely go to the bottom, or anywhere below 10cm really. I'm not sure about the tank size but the are a good top dweller, but seem very nervious. If you did get some, keep the tank covered as they can jump out of the tank.

Killifish should also stay at the top. African Butterfly fish, will do the same, and don't get too big.

African Butterfly fish are very sensitive to water conditions and I believe they are predatorial so they may bother other fish in the tank. They are so awesome to watch though.

I had an african butterfly fish, with a golden wonder killifish, and didnt have any problems. also when the killi wasnt blood thirsty i had guppys in with them, the butterfly fish never even nipped at them, he was full grown too i believe. i was shocked when i head how violent they could be towards other tankmates, because i never had a problem like that. could have just been me though, i mean fish from walmart arent exactly normal....i agree with the hatchet fish idea, oh how i love those things. killis are fun too though, i give mine live, small waxworms on occasion, real predators they are, enjoyable to watch.

Killifish should also stay at the top. African Butterfly fish, will do the same, and don't get too big.

African Butterfly fish are very sensitive to water conditions and I believe they are predatorial so they may bother other fish in the tank. They are so awesome to watch though.

Huh... I have never heard of that... Always thought they where peaceful, and with my experience with them I found them to be just that...

just thought i'd mention, if that's a red tailed black shark (RTBS) it's likely to cause some issues later down the line. These fish can reach 6-7 inches pretty easy and may take to attacking the other fish in a small tank like a 20g. They seem, from what i've read, to get pretty territorial.

This 1 inch of fish per gallon rule, is that UK or US gallon? There would be an 8 inch difference in my tank :unsure:

Tbh the 1" per gallon is a general rule to aid beginners in stocking their tanks. If you are a well organised person with a regimented set of water changes, hoover's and tests etc. you can go over that rule

the Pantodon Buchholzi is a surface dweller and prefers not to be invaded by other surface dwellers. I wouldn't keep any other surface dweller with this species unless it's not small enough to be eaten. It's a predator, but won't eat fish for fun. Territoral fish too
I'd be cautious about keeping other top dwellers together.
:good:
great looking fish though

Tbh the 1" per gallon is a general rule to aid beginners in stocking their tanks. If you are a well organised person with a regimented set of water changes, hoover's and tests etc. you can go over that rule

really depends on what you mean by "over" the rule.....

Nobody has mentioned gouramis or other labywrinth fish....

really depends on what you mean by "over" the rule.....

Nobody has mentioned gouramis or other labywrinth fish....

Well my Gourami doesn't stay up the top it goes everywhere.

Most reactions

Back