Top Dweller?

i wouldn't say gouramis are top dwelling fish, mine and all the ones i've seen tend to stay nearer the bottom/mid-water, occasionally going up to the top for a breath

i dunno, my pearls like the top, maybe its cause they like the water lettuce or something.

I also don't consider gourami's to be top level fish...mine thinks he owns the entire tank.

Killi's are really interesting little fish, but some species don't get along well with other fish, and they aren't easy to find at your lfs. Plus the fact that some of them don't like prepared food might make them a little frustrating for a beginner.

Hatchets really would be the easiest and most available choice. Some species don't get as large as others (I believe the sticked thread "Recommendations for a 10 gallon" mentions the smaller species), and imo getting a small group of them would be perfectly safe even if it brings you over the "inch per gallon rule" a little bit...especially considering the fact that you are looking for a fish to occupy a specific level of the tank.

I've gone for the hatchet fish. Got four of them which takes me slightly over the inch rule, but they seem to have settled in straight away.

And the danios seem to like them as well. They seem to be spending more time at the top of the tank and even school with the hatchets.

Most reactions

Back